Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About USB Type C

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rumpled103

rumpled103

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:44 PM

I have seem some laptops and sometimes the ports don't always have the logos next to them so I can know what they're for. I took like 4 pics. 1st pic has a USB Type C port, but doesn't have any logos next to it. In the 2nd pic it has logos SS USB and Thunderbolt, but it's affixed next to what looks like a USB 3.1 port. I'm not sure why it would have the Thunderbolt logo next to it since Thunderbolt 3 only works with USB Type C. port. 3rd pic is like the 1st one. 4th pic has SS USB 10 gigabits logo, a DisplayPort logo, and Thunderbolt logo. Now, I'm not sure why it has a DisplayPort logo and I don't why in the 1st and 3rd pic it didn't have any logos next to it. But I did ask someone at a Microsoft Store about why it has DisplayPort next to it, who then asked another associate who said it's associated or works with DisplayPort. I also want to know if USB Type C port is associated or works with Mini DisplayPort. Here's the album to know what I'm talking about: http://imgur.com/a/ry99W.

In the 4th pic, you have to zoom in. It has USB 3.1 logo, DisplayPort logo, and Thunderbolt 3 logo.

I looked on Wikipedia for USB Type C and apparently Thunderbolt 3 is supposed to work with DisplayPort 1.2? And then there's these other things with Thunderbolt 20 Gbps, DisplayPort 1.2, USB 3.1, USB 2.0 and then Thunderbolt 40 Gbps. And then passive and then active. I mean, these things are confusing to me.

How do I know if a computer supports DisplayPort Alternate Mode, Thunderbolt Alternate Mode, HDMI Alternate Mode, or DisplayPort over USB Type C? Can it only support one or more? And is DisplayPort Alternate Mode and DisplayPort over USB Type C the same thing? Does the computer needs to specifically support ThunderBolt Alternate Mode to get 40 gbps or do I just need active cables?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 22 December 2016 - 05:03 PM.
Moved from 'Questions and buying new computers' to 'External hardware'.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users