Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wuauserv High CPU usage of 25%

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

Hello. Each time I start Windows 7, I get 25% cpu usage when running Resource Monitor.  Update to Windows update did not work either. I want to say that I googled some information on this, but could not find specific solution. If anyone knows what to do, please advise.

I ran antivirus (AVG) and anti spyware  (SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition).

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX; Processor: Intel i5 2500k; RAM 24GB: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); Video Card: MSI AMD Radeon RX 470 Gaming X 4G GDDR5; Power Supply: OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply; Multi-card reader: Nippon Labs Delux 3.5" Internal All In One Card Reader/Writer with USB2.0 & eSATA Ports Model ICR-BB. Optical 1: LG GH22NS90; Optical 2:  ASUS BW-12B1ST; Fans: 3x80mm, CPU Cooling: XIGMATEK LOKI SD963. So there are total of 6 fans.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:57 PM

Windows 7 update is so broken that on the Win7 machines I maintain, what I've done is set Windows Update to never search for updates, and each month I download the full Rollup and install it manually. Depending on how long your machine has been stuck trying to get updates, you may need to take steps to bring updates up to October at least. The update history in Windows Updates will show - if at least the October Rollup has been installed or all individual September updates, you can turn Windows Updates off, which stops the CPU hogging, download and install the December Rollup (they are cumulative). Repeat after Update Tuesday each month.

I work from the info on:

http://wu.krelay.de/en/

Edited by Platypus, 15 December 2016 - 11:01 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

Hi:

I have not tried the proposed fix suggested above, but it has been quoted often here and elsewhere.  I expect that it probably works just fine.

Another angle that has worked for many (myself included, on 2 different Win7 systems) is here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632621/windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates-forever/#entry4123538

It's just another means to get to the same endpoint: fixing the WU client on a Win7 SP1 box stuck in the "checking for updates" morass...

Having said that, each system is unique.  If the proposed method does NOT work, then there may be a different underlying problem.

Cheers,

MM

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:37 PM

I finally got my Windows 7 computers to update normally by downloading the latest service stack and the July 2016 rollup. What's interesting is I download and manually install the Security Only Monthly Rollups, did Oct, Nov, and Dec. But, I am still getting flagged for a Dec Security and Quality Rollup which i do not want to download. I only use the Windows Update for any .NET rollups.

It now seems I have a couple of Windows 8.1 computers that will not update. In order to install the July 2016 there are two prerequisite downloads, one being the April 2014 update which I will not download.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:11 PM

There are two monthly rollups...one says "Security Only" while the other says "Security & Quality".

In short...either will install security updates, the difference being that S&Q includes updates not related to security.

See More Information.

If you attempt to install both...my experience is that Windows will tell you when an item is already installed...just move on.

Louis

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:56 PM

The problem I found with "fixing" the updater was that another update would come along and break it again. Then the user is stuck with CPU hogging until it's dealt with again. I fixed the updates on the church computer 3 times, each time at some point someone would find it struggling with multimedia presentations and I'd check & find 50% constant CPU usage. I'd rather plug a flash drive into computers each month for a 10 minute update, than keep getting called in when people are struggling, have to "fix" the updater, wait for it to download and install the missing updates and check that it hasn't got broken again.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:30 PM

I just feel sorry for all the people with Windows 7 on auto updates that don't understand what is going on. Multiply the number of people who post the problem on BC by a factor of who knows. It's ridiculous and a dangerous security risk as people with Windows 7 aren't getting their updates. I wouldn't be surprised the same thing will happen to 8.1. Microsoft really dropped the ball on this problem. 

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:49 PM

FWIW:  I'm not prone to "conspiracy theories"...but I think that one thing should be clear from Microsoft's handling of Win 7 from the beginning....it was not intended to be anything other than a stepping stone to later versions pushed by Microsoft.  8.0 and 8.1 were nothing but trial balloons until it was decided that Win 10 would be the "one size fits all" O/S that Microsoft would bank on...until it comes up with another stepchild to replace Win 10.

The warning bells should have been heard...when those first illegal links of Win 7 popped up everywhere...and MS did nothing to shut them down...until it was ready to push its chosen product.

The fact that both XP and Win 7 have proven to be immensely popular for users...doesn't seem to have been anticipated.  Which means that they must be, inevitably, killed off.  I believe we are in the midst of that process.  The appearance of update issues...is just part of that process...make Win 7 such a can of worms for users that Win 10 can ride in as the O/S "of choice" by anyone capable of striking keys on a keyboard...or knowing/wanting to use touchscreens.

That's how I see it...

Louis

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:25 PM

The warning bells should have been heard...when those first illegal links of Win 7 popped up everywhere...and MS did nothing to shut them down...until it was ready to push its chosen product.

Good point. I didn't think about that. Personally I have made a decision that Windows 7 and 8 will be my last Windows OS's. If I need Windows I can put Windows 7 in a VM or dual boot.

#10 bigdog1100

bigdog1100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:34 PM

Thank you all. I will try MoxieMomma suggesion. I will report back with the results.

Update_History.jpg

Edited by bigdog1100, 16 December 2016 - 10:45 PM.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX; Processor: Intel i5 2500k; RAM 24GB: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); Video Card: MSI AMD Radeon RX 470 Gaming X 4G GDDR5; Power Supply: OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply; Multi-card reader: Nippon Labs Delux 3.5" Internal All In One Card Reader/Writer with USB2.0 & eSATA Ports Model ICR-BB. Optical 1: LG GH22NS90; Optical 2:  ASUS BW-12B1ST; Fans: 3x80mm, CPU Cooling: XIGMATEK LOKI SD963. So there are total of 6 fans.

#11 bigdog1100

bigdog1100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:03 PM

Reporting back. I followed the instructions, and updated as MoxieMomma suggested. I also installed all important and a couple of secondary updates. I left system in Notify me but let me choose what to download. This is resolved so far.

Now the question remains, I have a few .Net frameworks and many old KB updates, user mod and kernel driver left. Do I need to update all those? 3 drivers and 67 KB. Of course there are language packs, but I know I don't need those.

Thanks.  :)

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:28 PM

The system has a way of letting you know...if any optional updates are ever advisable.  Security updates for installed components...should always be installed.

I don't think that I have ever installed any optional updates for Win 7.  I've not had any problems because of such.

Louis

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

I would definitely do any .NET Framework Security Updates. I'm not sure about the Kernel driver. If it is listed as a Security Update then I would download it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users