Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning how to browse online in an age of abuse

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jago25_98

jago25_98

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

Is there any resource which summerises steps to learn to continue browsing online. It's a bit of an arms race of us vs advertisers and I find it difficult to keep up. 

The web annoyances are diverse but the subject of my message here is that I'm looking for an overall strategy. For example, don't bother with noscript as it's too much work, but do bother with adblock. 

Some more problems. I will try to share my knowledge here too:

- pinterest is a bit like a man in the middle attack which separates the image from you and the page you want to browse, forcing you to sign up. Perhaps there is a way to add "-pinterest" and such sites to all searches automatically rather than needing to type it in every time

- spam, keyword spamming, SEO seems to mean when I search for a word I get back a bunch of results which don't have that word in the page. Either the word has been spammed or google has determined another word is related. Perhaps by default there should be 

- google has removed the forum search. I now specify "forum" in a lot of my searches as that seems to work better than "phpbb". I also search reddit sometimes. It would be good to be able to 'post process' Google search results in a way we have control of to remove what we don't want and focus on what we do want

- google has removed the ability to search by timeframe on mobile on non iphone browsers. I now have to fake the browserID with phoney on Firefox mobile in order to click different timeframes in order to avoid getting old, out of date articles

- I don't know what you call this but the new html "popups", "pop-unders" - whatever they are called? You are browsing an article, scroll down and then you are interupted by a box which greys out the text, forcing you to wait for it to load and find the X to exit or register 

- paywalls. There doesn't seem to be any way to identify and exclude them from search results. Some even let you start to read and then block you after you've invested your time into reading the article

- adverts, blocking and countermeasures. I find it really difficult to read with flashing adverts in my peripheral. Many sites now detect adblocking and either moan or restrict content. There are countermeasures to this such as anti-adblock-killer but it's better to avoid the site if possible... but how do you identify a crappy site in search results? There's AMP sites which seem to have less irritations and slow loading bandwidth wasters... but is there a way to find AMP only sites? I guess you could change your browserID on the desktop to something mobile. 

Perhaps there is a service out there to battle or this for us? The web is not what it used to be and it's taking more and more of my time to deal with it all. For the most part if I have my own fast computer to customise then the work isn't a problem. The problem is that more and more I have to upgrade to deal with the slowness of it all and if I can't get on with shared computers anymore. It would be good to just be able to login to a premium site which does all this filtering for you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users