Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vexing: Windows Won't Update/IE6 won't run Google, other sites

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 signmeuptoo

signmeuptoo

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

Hi, I've been given a friend's Dell DE051 Series computer to restore and I've tried about 20 hours worth of things. I'm not a hacker level uber geek, but I've disinfected systems before and used google for this site and others first before asking for help, but I've reached an impasse.

The system is stuck with Windows XP Home SP2 and IE 6 which isn't accessing certain sites like google but will access MSN. I've looked at the Host file, ran combofix, tried installing AV software (unsuccessful), tried Revo uninstaller to remove programs, and just tried installing and using CCleaner, which forces a BSOD as soon as it starts.

I am really determined to make this work because the person needing this computer is poor and I want to learn more. I'd love to learn the skills of the experts here.

Could you please help?

I am using my computer to communicate and look stuff up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:07 PM

Hi, signmeuptoo.

The first thing you really want to do is to download the standalone installer for SP3, using another computer, then transfer it to the machine in question.. You'll not be able to do it on that one, because IE6 (which is the worst version ever of IE.....and so far out of date it's actually dangerous) won't update until SP3 is installed. Then IE6 won't update until the updater has itself been updated.....and so on, and so on. See my post here:-

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626324/xp-service-packs-available-for-anyone-that-needs-them/?p=4081369

If you're determined to stick with XP, I'd consider re-installing another version of XP. See here:-

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/627328/where-do-i-download-windows-xp-sp3-in-iso/?p=4087925

This includes the POS-ready 'hack' which means you keep receiving security updates until April 2019.....and SP3 is 'built-in'.

Do follow the advice about being careful, and applying all the usual cautions. Having said that, I can personally vouch for this version, having used it for almost 18 months. The only reason I can now post links to this stuff is because XP is now considered by the staff here to be 'abandonware', so the rules for links to software for XP have been relaxed.

I see the Dimension DE051 can take up to 2 GB RAM. It would be worth 'maxing' this out if at all possible; extra RAM always helps. How much is installed at present, do you know?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is, of course, another alternative. Have you considered Linux.....which is totally free to download and use? If the idea appeals, BC has a very active 'Linux & Unix' section, where we'd be more than happy to help you choose something that would run on the old Dell. (Dell's are, by and large, pretty good with Linux!)

Don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly you might think they are. That's the only way to learn!

Up to you, of course.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 December 2016 - 05:23 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 signmeuptoo

signmeuptoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:32 PM

Ok, had just found the WindowsUpdateAgent after running TFC and ran in at command prompts with force chosen and then tried to update and I am now updating to SP3. Will keep in touch with how it goes. I've put in so much time on this system it ain't funny, but I gotta figure stuff out, I'm compelled to!

#4 signmeuptoo

signmeuptoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:48 PM

Hmm... The SP3 download window isn't showing progress. Same problem on my sister's Vista machine. I  may have to use your installer, I'm just trying to see if this way works first. Should it take a long time before downloading progress shows?

#5 signmeuptoo

signmeuptoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:38 PM

Thanks to your help with that SP download I've got it going and seeing websites on IE 8 now. I think all that disinfection stuff I did before asking here is what it took, but the darned SP3 update just sat there for about 20 minutes with no download showing so I went ahead and used that install of yours. THANK YOU! I spent a LOT of time on this system, but I've learned a bunch.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:19 AM

I wouldn't touch IE8 if i were you, if you want to get owned on the net using IE8 the way to go.

update to something different.

By following this guide that was made in 2013 and known to people way before that you can run any code on your system with out your consent,owning the computer in question, if you use flash player too on IE8 your really asking for it.

http://www.hacking-tutorial.com/hacking-tutorial/hacking-windows-7-sp1-via-microsoft-internet-explorer-8/#sthash.orpQ44vo.dpbs

Edited by shadow_647, 16 December 2016 - 12:19 AM.

#7 signmeuptoo

signmeuptoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:24 AM

Thank's for the heads up. I see that IE 8 is as high as we can go with XP, also, the system with only 512MB of RAM is thrashing the drive like nuts. I may change to a tiny Linux after all this trouble...

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:58 AM

I would, Linux all most has no ways to hack it and no spyware or virus for it, 512 ram is really low though even for the versions of Linux that are out their atm.

My self i have Linux mint on my laptop and it has a 1700mgz cpu and 1gig ram and everything works really well.

Don't know why you dont have more ram, i have like 50 sticks of ddr1 my self in stock and 512 ddr400mgz is like $5 to buy if not less, you can afford $2.50 ~ $5 i would hope.

Normal i would recommend the newest version of Firefox but of late its kind of a memory pig of late so can't recommend that for a system with 512ram, btw winxp runs really well on 1gig ram and use to on 512megs but as time went on programs used more and more ram.

you could try this its firefox  3.6rc2 , no html5 and should be low on mem use as well as being better then IE8 for surfing vs hackers, just disabled java and you should be golden.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/3.6rc2/win32/en-US/

noscript add-on recommended as well and only use java if and when needed and you should be good, find the version that works with 3.6

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/versions/

As well what is the hardware stats for your computer ?

Edited by shadow_647, 16 December 2016 - 03:00 AM.

#9 signmeuptoo

signmeuptoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:05 PM

Ah well, I dug out on old motherboard/CPU/RAM/Cooler combo I have and put the Team RAM (2 x 1 GB) into the Dell as a Lark to see if it would help. Wow, totally different system with the RAM, so we're gonna get some RAM off the fleabay for about 12 bucks.

It's good to go otherwise, managed to get everything, even the unknown Wireless B to work, that took some doing also.

I'm gonna leave it be but it's an option to put a baby Linux on it.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:32 PM

I'm gonna leave it be but it's an option to put a baby Linux on it.

If your not a gamer i have a hard time not recommending Linux, its like virus/hacker prof.

My self i tend to like Linux mint, the GUI in it is very close to what winXP or win7 is, but of course theirs like 100 different flavors of Linux out their so if you don't like one take the other.

https://linuxmint.com/

#11 signmeuptoo

signmeuptoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:41 AM

Indeed, but it won't be my choice.

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:16 AM

Indeed, but it won't be my choice.

lol why you got to ask the wife or something its ifs ok ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users