Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet has suddenly started dropping

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chillcleal

chillcleal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

Hello, this is my first post here.

Over the past couple of days I noticed my browser was acting sluggish it was completely fine and has been fora year a half prior to this. Now sometimes it would be fine, other times the page would half load or not at all. I checked the normal speed tests and ping test websites. All good around 50mbs download 10mbs upload ping 8 m/s.

So all fine by that. So I tried Chrome instead of my normal firefox. Again sluggish. I work on youtube so I clicked down opening up lots of channels in new tabs. It opens the first few fine then it's as if the net drops for a few moments as the next few get caught and dont load then a couple of seconds later the next ones load. So I open cmd and ping google by - ping -t 8.8.8.8.

Results - reply from 8.8.8.8 bytes = 32  time = 12   TTL - 57
               request timed out
               request timed out
               reply from 8.8.8.8 bytes = 32  time = 12   TTL - 57
               reply from 8.8.8.8 bytes = 32  time = 12   TTL - 57
               request timed out
               request timed out
               request timed out

Etc etc. So I believe my internet is dropping every couple of seconds for a very short time and then is back up again. The actual internet doesn't ever disconnect and I can even play games and not disconnect, nor does it seem like im lagging. Though I play a lot of Overwatch and the orange symbols flash up every 5 seconds to tell me it's not a great connection.

I have tried everything I know of. I tried virus scanning, spyware scanning, i tried updating the drivers for the wireless dongle, connecting wired. I wiped my whole pc back to factory settings. Tried getting into contact with BT. The first person said it wasn't on their side. An hour late I contacted them again and they said they could see something and have reset it from their side and to try changing the channel I was using on the router. This was about an hour ago. They said it could take 1-2 days to improve. Nothing as of yet.

I am worrying as my job depends on the internet running smoothly. I am hoping it does fix itself in 1-2 days time but from my experience in the past with stuff like this it never does.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Thanks!

(if it helps I am using Windows 7 and have BT Internet with a BT Home Hub Router)

Edited by chillcleal, 15 December 2016 - 04:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ssbarr

ssbarr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:22 PM

Make note on the computers you test if they are wired/wireless, and the exact download and upload speeds. If you want, go ahead and connect your laptop directly (hard wire) to the modem and bypass the router. Test your speeds. See if they still yield low results. If not, then we can start on troubleshooting your router next.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

When you see packets dropping to 8.8.8.8, try and post a tracert to the same IP and see where it is dropping. My guess is the DNS transactions are failing inside the router. Also, what model modem/router/gateway do you have from BT?

"they said they could see something and have reset it from their side"

What did they say they saw? What is "something"?

#4 chillcleal

chillcleal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

When you see packets dropping to 8.8.8.8, try and post a tracert to the same IP and see where it is dropping. My guess is the DNS transactions are failing inside the router. Also, what model modem/router/gateway do you have from BT?

"they said they could see something and have reset it from their side"

What did they say they saw? What is "something"?

Thank you.

This is the Tracert -

C:\Users\MYNAME>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     2 ms     1 ms  bthub.home [192.168.1.254]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  31.55.186.184
  5    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  195.99.127.90
  6    13 ms    12 ms    12 ms  peer1-xe-11-0-0.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.1
93.169]
  7    10 ms    10 ms     9 ms  109.159.253.67
  8    10 ms     9 ms     9 ms  72.14.234.65
  9    12 ms    12 ms    13 ms  216.239.57.165
 10    11 ms    10 ms    10 ms  google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

I have a BT Home Hub 5 (type b ) They are sending me a Home Hub 6. Which should arrive here tomorrow. I am really hoping that works. If it doesn't I guess that they will have to send an engineer out.....

They didn't tell me what they saw sadly. From everything I explained to them and everything I done, they recommended a new router. So we shall see. I am skeptical however because all my devices receive a strong signal from the router, and am apparently getting the speed I am meant to be. And also pinging google is fine now in the cmd, about a 10-14ms response time.

Yet web pages load painfully slow if at all and I can't play games without lagging... Something is getting stuck, but not for long as it doesn't actually disconnect me or lose the signal for enough time to knock it down visibly.

Edited by chillcleal, 20 December 2016 - 05:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users