Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Rescue CD hangs ...hardware?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gonorm

gonorm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

I have tried multiple av boot rescue cd's and all seem to hang at the same message.

Hope one of you can point me in the right direction.

ata8.00: exception Emask 0x52 SAct 0x0 SErr 0xffffffff action 0xe frozen

ata8: SError:  { RecovData...

Please see attached jpg

Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

Hi, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

It looks like the SATA port that your CD drive is connected to, might be the issue. Does your motherboard have different types of SATA ports? You may (or may not) be able to tell by looking at them.

If you are not sure, please post the specifications or make and model of the computer, or of the motherboard if the computer is a custom build.

Edited by Al1000, 15 December 2016 - 02:49 PM.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:25 PM

I wonder if trying Puppy Linux on CD would help?

Try this.

Download Puppy Linux Here. tahr-6.0.5_PAE.iso

Burn it to CD and try boot your PC .  If it all boots fine then its not a hardware issue and you can recover any important files.

How to recover files from Windows using Puppy Linux

#4 gonorm

gonorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:15 AM

Solved. Thanks for the replies. The motherboard is an ASRock Z77 Pro4. It has two types of sata ports. ASMedia Sata3 and Intel Sata3. I moved the dvd burner connector from the ASMedia Sata3 to the Intel Sata3 and all works once again.  Doesn't tell me if the ASMedia ports are failing or if the more recent rescue cds have trouble with these ports.

From the ASRock website:

- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Intel® Z77, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel® Rapid Storage and Intel® Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions 

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:10 AM

Pleased to hear it, and thanks for letting us know.

I wouldn't think the ASMedia SATA ports are failing, but rather the firmware for these ports isn't designed to recognise whatever command is being read from the CD, so it returns the "failed command" error in your screenshot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users