Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on setting up a Linux server

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chronos446

chronos446

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:09 PM

Hello, I need help on setting up a linux based file sharing server that could atleast accommodate 30 concurrent connections for a small office network. 

The current office setup consists mostly of W7, W8 and W10 desktops and a designated "server" which is just a consumer desktop with w7 ultimate installed in it.  Their current network is jammed up on a single workgroup with no file sharing restrictions and no domain with each employee using an admin account to login to their desktops. The office payroll system ( an outdated vfoxpro based hris) is installed on this "server" along with almost all the confidential office files. Employees connect to this server to be able to use and encode to their payroll system, but the problem is that they're really not aware of their servers 20 active connection limit on file sharing. This results on the other employees having issues connecting.

Now as the new techsupport for the new company "I.T." department I was tasked to resolve this. I tried to patch up most of their problems on my first few days but for their server connection issue I recommended them to get a real server or for me to atleast convert one of the desktops to serve as a temporary server. I'm a bit new to networking on linux so I need some advice on what distro to use preferably with a gui and whether if its ok or not to virtualize a domain controller since I'm planning to just first install the linux os(with samba4) to a VM and use W7 ultimate as the host OS. 

Thanks in advance

Edited by chronos446, 15 December 2016 - 02:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:07 AM

Hi chronos446 and :welcome: to Linux & Unix Section, hope you enjoy your stay here.

Do I take it that you have looked into eg

• RHEL - Red Hat Enterprise LInux
  • Oracle Linux - based on RHEL
  • SUSE Linux
  • Ubuntu Server

&c, or is this your first approach?

We have a number of sysadmins amongst our ranks, hopefully one will be along soon. I am not aware if any of them is working in an active LInux environment.

Good luck, and sorry I personally cannot help you further.

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users