Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Latest Adobe Flash In Ubuntu For Firefox

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:26 AM

pcpunk posted #3480:

QUOTE:

For those that need the latest Flash the easy way, just saw this:

How to Install the Latest Version of Flash on Ubuntu Linux

If anyone using an older Ubuntu such as 14.04 LTS.....I would like to know if they have tried following

those directions for installing the latest Adobe Flash and if it was successful or not.

Note that in the comments in the link that pcpunk provided is this by Bill Miller 2 days ago:

QUOTE:

I did the steps, even rebooted the PC, but the version of the flash plugin in Firefox did not change. It's still 11.2

After looking into it, I installed the flash plugin from the Ubuntu Mozilla Security ppa, and it sucessfully updated to 24.0. So not sure why your method did not work.

So, if you tried Bill Miller's method.....would like to know about that, too.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:45 AM

Hi, buddy.

Can't comment on the way Ubuntu actually handles this, but it sounds like a far more sensible way of doing things.....installing both Flash and Pepper at the same time.

For those who aren't yet aware, with the release of Flash 24, the 'old faithful' Linux version 11.2 202.xxx is no more. Adobe have finally killed it off. It's only a small step.....but it is a step in the right direction.

In much the same vein as how Chrome for Linux now auto-downloads & installs the new version of Pepper all by itself.....and the Pepper plugin for Chromium (and Chromium-based browsers, such as SlimJet, Iron, Yandex, Maxthon, etc.) is now available for d/l by itself. It's no longer necessary to d/l Chrome, strip out Pepper, and chuck the rest away.

Only small steps, it's true, but gradually we're catching up to the long-established automation in these matters that Windoze has enjoyed for so long.  :thumbup2:

(Like I've said in the past, we Puppians don't rely on the terminal to do everything for us. We love to dive in to the file-system, and physically 'get our hands dirty'..!

The one major downside to relying on the terminal for everything is that it pre-supposes there is always a full-time 'staff' doing nothing but maintaining the software package system...

Which for Puppy couldn't be further from the truth..!)  :rolleyes:

Probably why my terminal skills are getting quite rusty these days. Not only have I no need for it, but it's pointless.....beyond trouble-shooting, and software construction!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 December 2016 - 08:00 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,410 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

I just checked my add-ons...I have Flash 24 in Firefox....must of been the last update I received. So...Mike..thanks for your post...made me check.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:33 AM

Just checked mine too; I have Flash 24 in Firefox on Kubuntu 14.04. I recall it was updated yesterday.

Edited by Al1000, 15 December 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,410 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:50 AM

Supposedly there is a Flash control panel installed, too. I am aware of the online control panel but it seems there is a version

installed in Ubuntu. AI1000..if you find that...let me know the location because it is likely the same place for my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

I'm going to try to find it, too.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:04 AM

I can't find it anywhere on my computer, but I found this on the internet:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager08.html

Note: The Settings Manager that you see above is not an image; it is the actual Settings Manager. Click the tabs to see different panels, and click the options in the panels to change your Adobe Flash Player settings.

#7 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,410 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

In the link pcpunk provided is where I saw the info for the flash manager. It mentions doing a search in Dash. I use a classic Gnome desktop...no Dash.

From pcpunk link:

This process also installs an Adobe Flash Player preferences tool, similar to the ones Flash provides on Windows and macOS. To find it, search for “Flash” in the Dash and launch it. You can use it to configure your Flash plugin settings.

ximg_5849d4451bb83.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

EDIT: Did find some files but none will open....'file:///home/userXxx/Adobe%20Flash%20Player%20Preferences'

Edited by buddy215, 15 December 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

KDE has a similar search box in the menu, but nothing appears if I type "flash."

I found a bunch of files earlier using find, but none that I thought might be a control panel.
sudo find / -iname "*flash*"
EDIT: Come to think of it, if typing "flash" into DASH opens the control panel in Ubuntu, then typing it into a terminal in *buntu should surely do the same, but the terminal says "command not found."

Edited by Al1000, 15 December 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

I have it on my Ubuntu 16.04 system, I opened dash, Typed f and there it was

From this link https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

You have version 24,0,0,186 installed

ko56ppo.png

ivmXAK5.png

Run this command then see if you can find it.

sudo apt install adobe-flashplugin

Edited by NickAu, 15 December 2016 - 04:42 PM.

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

That's interesting.

My flash player is only a Firefox plug-in (I have a different flash player plug-in on Chromium), so I don't have that package installed.

al@my-desktop-pc:~$ apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin
adobe-flashplugin:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:20161213.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
  Version table:
     1:20161213.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 0
        500 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ trusty/partner amd64 Packages

Edited by Al1000, 15 December 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:47 PM

Hi all, wasn't sure whether to place this here (if I am wrong, sorry for the intrusion, Buddy) or at Cheesemakers:

V0LQrYE.png

There are more entries under that search than I could fit in the screenshot.

Cheesemakers is the appropriate place to post information on Adobe Flash and other products, as can be seen. Interest in this Topic will wane and it will fade into the back pages, whereas I, initially, and we, since have ensured Cheesemakers will remain in the front two pages.

Users can more easily search on Adobe Flash and other products through Ray's Topic, as I have just illustrated, than through trawling the whole Linux & Unix section.

Obviously Al's comments at Cheesemaker's can be misinterpreted to suggest pcpunk should have posted here, whereas this Topic did not even exist when pcpunk posted his (current) news.

If more up-to-date information is found on Adobe Flash or other product, or an error is found, then that can obviously be posted at Cheesemakers, with a link to the obsolete post?

However, and with the exception of the above, now that buddy has started this Topic, ongoing discussion that is not appropriate in Cheesemakers would be well directed here?

Hope this helps rather than hinders, and no offence to anyone.

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - Don't recall if I have asked this before, but would it be appropriate to pin Cheesemakers?

Edited - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 15 December 2016 - 05:53 PM.

#12 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,410 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

The reason for starting this topic was not to clutter the Cheesemaker topic with discussing pcpunk's post on Adobe Flash.

Wizard..were you as surprised as me and others to see flash 24 installed as of yesterday?

I have another computer that I keep updated. It has 12.04 LTS installed. So....hey...I haven't customized it like this one and

it has Dash on the desktop. Today I installed 170 mb of updates that included the Adobe Flash 24. Rebooted a couple of times

and clicked on Dash...started typing flash...NOTHING...zip...nada. Tried a couple more search terms....again...NOTHING

Just thought I would post that result for anyone else using the same Ubuntu and wondering why the flash manager doesn't appear

as it does for Nick...

Edited by buddy215, 15 December 2016 - 06:14 PM.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,708 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:04 PM

ongoing discussion that is not appropriate in Cheesemakers would be well directed here?

Cheese makers is not a discussion thread, Its an announcement thread.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,708 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:37 PM

nick@nick-MS-7817:~$ apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin
adobe-flashplugin:
  Installed: 1:20161213.1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
  Candidate: 1:20161213.1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
  Version table:
 *** 1:20161213.1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 500
        500 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu xenial/partner amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:31 PM

@NickAu:

ongoing discussion that is not appropriate in Cheesemakers would be well directed here?

Cheese makers is not a discussion thread, Its an announcement thread.

That is what I said? :crazy:

@buddy215:

The reason for starting this topic was not to clutter the Cheesemaker topic with discussing pcpunk's post on Adobe Flash.

Quite so, and I hope you did not think I was being critical - I enjoy your work :thumbup2:

However, if you had happened upon an article which refuted, corrected, or updated what pcpunk found at HowToGeek, it would be appropriate to Post it to Cheesemakers, that is in accordance with the protocols its founder, Ray, established years ago.

You could preface it with eg "An update to #12345 above is as follows..." and end it with eg "any discussion on this matter should be applied to a separate Topic...". As Nick has said, Cheesemakers is for announcements, not discussion.

Hand in hand with that, people I know would check Cheesemakers daily (Ray would sometimes post 4 times a day) like you might read the headlines in the paper over breakfast, before reading it thoroughly in your commute to work.

Wizard..were you as surprised as me and others to see flash 24 installed as of yesterday?

Pleasantly so to see it available, but not installed for me, yet. Over the 48 Linux Distros I run, between the Garage and the Study, I have 2 versions of 16.04 Unity, 2 of 16.04 MATE, and 2 of 16.10 Yakkety Yak MATE. I have the updating mechanisms setup differently in the Garage, which only has 16 Distros on one drive, to that of the Study, where there are 30 Distros spread over two drives.

At this point in time, with Yakkety Yak, the Adobe Flash Plugin update appears in both my Synaptic Package Managers, and are yet to be installed.

Hope that helps?

Cheers all, and avagudweegend

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users