Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Safe to remove device notification

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peeb21

Peeb21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:25 AM

Windows XP Home SP3

I have recently noticed that I no longer ger a 'Safe to remove device' notification  after clicking the 'Safely remove Hardware' Icon on the task bar to remove usb flash drives and external HDDs.
The devices appear to be removed ok as the reference to them is deleted in 'My Computer'.

I realise that this problem has been posted several years ago but the solution involving the registry key 'EnableBalloonTips' didn't work in my case as it was already set to '1'.( I deleted the key anyway without success)
I hope someone out there can help me with this anoying problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

How long as it bin since a reinstall ?

#3 Peeb21

Peeb21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:16 AM

I have never seen the need for a reinstall and have only got a service pack 2 disk

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:25 AM

No high speed internet or something ?

Don't know why anyone would want to stay in SP2, hell thiers even a hacker that made SP4 not that id probly use it.

how meny years has it bin since winxp has bin runing ?

#5 Peeb21

Peeb21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

I didn't say I was at Service pack 2 I upgraded when service pack 3 came out but I don't have a service pack 3 disk and am unsure if I can use my SP2 key on a SP3 install.

Any way I was hoping that there would be an easier way to bring back the 'Safe to remove device' notification without reinstalling the OS

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

FWIW

Louis

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

Same did some reserch too on the topic hamluis, could be a lot of things.

#8 Peeb21

Peeb21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:57 AM

I have now solved the problem.

After cloning the drive to prevent loss of data I slipstreamed sp3 onto my original sp2 disk and did a repair install. This cleared the problem for a while but it returned after I altered some display properties, (Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 4650 AGP).

The final fix was to simply reload the ATI drivers from the video card's installation disk.

I  Don't know the reason why the display driver would have anything to do with the 'Safe to remove Hardware' notification but it must have done. I hope that my solution may help someone with a similar problem.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:51 AM

Thanks for the update!

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users