Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't pin down reason for BSOD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 slimyfishy

slimyfishy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

So I'm close to throwing my computer out the window.  About a year ago i did a clean install of windows 10, and since then things have been pretty rock solid (can't remember any crashes) til about a week ago.  I don't remember loaded any new hardware or software, I only did a computer shutdown and restart (usually i just leave my computer on).  Since then I have experienced numerous BSOD.  They seem to mostly occur while in various games (BF1 etc..), but after the initial crash I get several BSOD soon after windows restart until things become "stable" again.

I've tried:

system restore

a clean uninstall and reinstall of latest graphic drivers

memtest came back clean

temperatures seem stable

removed my antivirus (eset)

tried using driver verifier

Finally did a windows reset (with keeping personal files) but still getting errors.  My bios is older, but has been rock solid for so long that I'm hesitant to update it.  I've tried running a performance monitor report but it seems to hang.  I'm stuck with what else to try.  I'm thinking maybe it's a color profile loader (displaycal), a nvidea driver issue, a hardware issue, or who knows.... but I've thought I fixed this about ten times now and I'm hoping real experts have an idea for me.

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   1.03MB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:43 PM

Try this and see what happens, i use this program for burn in testing and to check if a system is stable after overclocking.

https://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

If you end up with errors or problems try underclocking the system some, my self i normal drop the speed by like 50% and if it passes then i bring the speed back up.

#3 slimyfishy

slimyfishy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:46 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, if things dont work I'll try that next.

A small update:

So I decided to run furmark gpu stress test.  It got about 2 minutes in before another BSOD.  Then I decided to do another clean video driver install, except this time I used  nvidea's driver 375.70 from a little over a month ago.  I also did a custom install without loading the 3d stuff and the geforce experience.  After rebooting, I ran furmark again.... this time I let it run for thirty minutes without any crashes. 

Assuming that was the problem (I'm hoping) could it be the latest drivers try to do something different with my older bios?  Maybe it's Geforce experience messing with things?  Either way if I get another BSOD i'll report back, likewise if things seem fixed.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:22 AM

Newer driver dousen't mean better thats all i know and GPU like CPU when they get old sometimes they don't brake 100% just slowing em down some and or a little more volts or more cooling can fix the problem.

Assuming that was the problem (I'm hoping) could it be the latest drivers try to do something different with my older bios?  Maybe it's Geforce experience messing with things?  Either way if I get another BSOD i'll report back, likewise if things seem fixed.

Sometimes that all it takes, and iv seen things like that offten.

This is known as electromigration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration

Pushing harder relly hard with overclocking makes it happen faster.

Edited by shadow_647, 15 December 2016 - 01:26 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:53 AM

Just posting to get subscribed.  If the BSOD's return, please post back and I'll start an analysis of the reports you've submitted.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 user234

user234

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

Try this program and see if it shows what causing the BSOD. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/whocrashed_free_home_edition.html

#7 slimyfishy

slimyfishy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

These were the types of crashes (along with some others) I was getting when seen through WhoCrashed:

On Wed 12/14/2016 8:42:41 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\121416-19921-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A6F0)
Bugcheck code: 0xBE (0xFFFFC68020782BC0, 0x8000000001000121, 0xFFFF9D00F63254D0, 0xA)
Error: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This is issued if a driver attempts to write to a read-only memory segment.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12/14/2016 8:42:41 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0xBE (0xFFFFC68020782BC0, 0x8000000001000121, 0xFFFF9D00F63254D0, 0xA)
Error: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
Bug check description: This is issued if a driver attempts to write to a read-only memory segment.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Having posted that, after rolling back and doing an install of a previous driver, I still haven't seen a BSOD.  So now i'm tentatively hopeful that things are fixed.  Since then I've also updated my Bios since the version I was using dated back to 2009... yikes.

If I had to guess, I feel like something either in the new nvidia driver, or installed with the Geforce Experience was trying to do something my bios or windows didn't like whenever the gpu started to see heavy load.  I may, at some point in the future, try to just install the newest video driver without the geforce experience and see if things are still stable.

I'll update if anything changes.

Thanks again everyone.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

My apologies for the delay in responding, lot's of personal stuff going on - and now I have a cast on my left arm :(

When you get time, try these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the MemTest and Prime95 - but run them ALL and let us know the results.

This'll put you ahead of the game if the BSOD's do return.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 slimyfishy

slimyfishy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:13 AM

Another quick update:

Everything still seems stable and fixed.  I got brave and updated my nvidia to the latest driver (again without using or installing the geforce experience), and things have run pretty smoothly.  The BSOD are gone and games that crashed before seem stable.  I guess recently Geforce was trying to optimize things in a way my computer didn't like.  Hope this helps someone else if they hit the same snag. 

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:03 AM

That's all it takes sometimes, just some buggy drivers and nothing works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users