Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"a disk read error occurred"

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 onipar

onipar

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:10 PM

I recently purchased a new SSD (Kingston Digital 120GB) and installed Windows 10 Education on it.  Everything seemed to be working fine for a day or two, and then when I restarted, I got the error message "a disk read error occurred."  It also says to do "ctrl alt dlt," which I do, and then the computer starts up fine and runs fine.  But every time I restart, I get the same error, then have to restart again before it boots into the OS. 

Worth note is that I had initially installed the OS, and then when I was trouble shooting a sound problem, I decided to pop out the CMOS battery.  After replacing it, I couldn't load the OS, so I decided to reformat the drive and do a fresh install.  Not sure if I messed something up when I did that...

Any ideas?  I'm hoping it's not a bad SDD or something.  I *really* don't want to have to go through all that installation stuff again.  :-p

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

Wonder if anything can do a full Disk scan for bad sectors like win98 use to be able to do, we know quickly if the drive had problems.

#3 onipar

onipar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:51 PM

I did a "scan disk for errors" and no errors were found, which is kinda weird.  

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:10 PM

What ya use to scan with ?

#5 onipar

onipar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

I went to the c drive and right clicked, went to "properties," went to the "tools" tab and used the error checker.  

Also, I tried went to the  bios and changed the SATA type to AHCI (based on something I read after googling the issue), but then the drive wouldn't boot at all, so I switched it back.  

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:36 PM

Seem hirens boot cd has the tools you need to do a real check, doubt windows can check anything just because it douse it too fast.

A real low level check takes a long time to do.

In DOS/win95/win98 doing a real check for bad sectors was a slow process.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lx1kA7ft1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te7ujIcm6oE

#7 Toits

Toits

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:51 AM

What says command sfc/scannow?

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:31 AM

sfc /scannow

Scan and fix corrupt system files in windows.

Not really the same as finding bad sectors, i remember i use to know this one guy way back when that had a 40MB monster huge HDD, god it was bad sector city, he would have to do scans every day or close to it they just keep popping up but the drive still worked besides that, win 3.11 would die at lest once a week from it lol.

Ps: i still have working 120MB P-IDE drives no bad sectors !

frZlL.jpg

#9 onipar

onipar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:40 AM

Right on, I'll check this out.  Thanks!

#10 onipar

onipar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

I haven't yet used that hirens boot cd scan yet, but I did the other sfc /scannow as well as Chkdsk, and neither seemed to do much.  Interestingly, the 

"a disk read error occurred" error went away for a few reboots, and then resurfaced.  So I tried something else I had read, which was to simply unplug the Sata cable and try a different post.  For good measure, I also changed the wire.  

This resulted in the SSD not being able to boot AT ALL, and just kept going back to that "a disk read error occurred" error.  Once I plugged the SSD back into the original port, it gave me the error once more, but upon restart, booted back into the OS.  

#11 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:51 PM

https://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/kingston-ssd-toolbox

Have you tried installing the Kingston SSD toolbox? It says it monitors drive health, status and usage so I would start there.

#12 onipar

onipar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

https://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/kingston-ssd-toolbox

Have you tried installing the Kingston SSD toolbox? It says it monitors drive health, status and usage so I would start there.

That's funny, I actually just found that before reading your post.  I installed it and it says everything is fine...  I'm starting to think perhaps the issue lies elsewhere.  Could it be I need to update the motherboard chipset, bios, or SATA drivers?  Would that cause the error I'm seeing?

Because the motherboard did get reset, and this is a new OS for it...  

#13 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

If the drive is fairly new then I would contact the manufacturer and tell them what you are experiencing, what you have done and what they think you should do to solve it. I am guessing the ssd drive has an intermittent problem that will only get worse over time. The only way to verify this is to try another drive in your system if you have one. 

#14 onipar

onipar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:06 PM

Right on, Thanks, QQQQ.  I may try to test it in another machine first, and then contact the Kingston support.  Before that, I'm going to also try another long shot.  I realized I have this drive as "slave," and the older HDD as "Master."  SO I'm going to swap that around...thinking maybe that's messing with something?  Maybe also going to try unplugging the HDD completely to see if the issue is present still.  I haven't messed with the computer since my last post, and just have let it stay on, and no other problems are present that I can see so far.

#15 sunnyseven11

sunnyseven11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

I was having this same issue on my rig for the last 3+ years. I also had a new Kingston SSD drive that I had running Windows 10. I would get random "disk read error" on startup, but OS would eventually boot after numerous restart attempts. Also system would freeze and run sluggish at times.

I banged my head against the wall forever doing disk checks, memtests on the RAM, checking SATA cables...nothing. Last night I was about to just buy a new Mobo.

But I found the solution to the issue and it is booting up constantly now without random freezes or slowdowns.

http://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/

The instructions on that site explain how to edit the registry in Windows 10 so that you can truly run your SSD in ahci mode correctly post OS install. My rig has four drives total and one SSD, but everything runs on SATA so after following the website instructions I changed all available options in my BIOS regarding SATA from IDE to AHCI. Problem was solved immediately with all drives being recognized and running smooth.

Also after following the steps on the site and if everything is working now, do a firmware upgrade on your Kingston SSD. If you had tried that before and it was failing, it might have been because you couldn't run your SSD in AHCI mode.

Hopefully this helps you out! Happy/sad it took me over three years to find a solution to my issue, but hopefully this can help more people now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users