Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need a final say in my PC build [warning, this is my first post here]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 RMWasp

RMWasp

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:01 PM

Hello to all,

I was wondering if someone could take a look at this PC build I've made. It's hand picked by me with some recommendations from other Forums. 

As I've heard this is the best PC forum, I am posting this here to have a peace of mind :D

Notes:

1) This PC is being built in Croatia, with components from an IT store here. 

2) budget is 1300€ but the prices are very different here so this doesn't help much haha

3) Gaming, CAD programs, work, everyday use etc.

4) 1080p atm, but I will switch to 1440p, or 1080p 144Hz soon,

And here she is :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor 1151
CPU cooler: LC-CC 120 Cosmo Cool (this is a fairly unknown unit but I've seen the tests firsthand it performs :) )
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A 
Memory: 1 PC-19200, 16 GB, G.SKILL Ripjaws V series, F4-2400C15D-16GVB, DDR4 2400MHz, kit 2x8GB

Storage: 1000.0 GB WD 
120 GB Kingston HyperX SSD 
Case: CHIEFTEC Gaming Series GP-01B-OP
Power Supply:  650W, ANTEC VPF650, ATX v2.4, 120mm, 80+ Bronze

GPU: GAINWARD GeForce GTX 1070  8GB

Thank you all in advance :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:30 PM

Looks like you know what your doing ill give that setup a :thumbsup2:

Some things though about your build is and its a personal preference topic would be i would have a top of the line sound card in their and i don't like the mobo, no normal PCI slots.

#3 RMWasp

RMWasp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:21 AM

Thanks for the response! 

I could go for the KRAIT Gaming from MSI, the sound is top notch, And steel reinforcment. The only problem is I have a thing for ASUS, and I'm afraid a MSI board would fail me. (I know it won't, probably, they are all high q. boards it's just that I've heard that MSI has poor QC :/)

I didn't even look it up, the normal PCI slots, that's how much I care about them hahah :)

I have no intention of putting a sound card, or a wifi card. It's just not my thing.

Anyways, thanks for the response, cheers! 

EDIT: Also, what do you think of the PSU?

Edited by RMWasp, 15 December 2016 - 01:38 AM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

The system looks good.  You should know that CAD and Gaming use two different types of video cards to get the best performance.  The video card you have in that machine is a gaming card.  The nVidia Quadro line are CAD cards, and cost as much as some computers.

You don't mention what CAD you're doing, so I don't know how much this will affect you.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:09 AM

Are you planning to use PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse?  PS/2 response is normally quite faster than usb keyboard/mouse response.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

CPU is quite weak. Quad core is IMO way too little for CAD in 2016. Could you put prices too so I know how much that 1300€ is on Croatia?

#7 RMWasp

RMWasp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

The system looks good.  You should know that CAD and Gaming use two different types of video cards to get the best performance.  The video card you have in that machine is a gaming card.  The nVidia Quadro line are CAD cards, and cost as much as some computers.

You don't mention what CAD you're doing, so I don't know how much this will affect you.

I'm a Civil engineer, so AutoCAD is my main. It doesn't need a good GPU, just more than 8 GB of ram, that is why I have 16. 

I'm also using programs such as ETAB-s which req a solid CPU, ergo I cannot go bellow i5 6600k :)

CPU is quite weak. Quad core is IMO way too little for CAD in 2016. Could you put prices too so I know how much that 1300€ is on Croatia?

I do not have the funds to go for an i7 6700k, this should be enough. If i clock it to 4,2 it should demolish the calculations, as i belive they feed on single core power

#8 RMWasp

RMWasp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:58 AM

Are you planning to use PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse?  PS/2 response is normally quite faster than usb keyboard/mouse response.

I don't belive I will for a while, no

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,366 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:58 AM

Drillingmachine remember that a quad Intel will act like an octo in Windows.  Eight cores should be sufficient for most CAD.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:17 PM

I'm a Civil engineer, so AutoCAD is my main. It doesn't need a good GPU, just more than 8 GB of ram, that is why I have 16. 

I'm also using programs such as ETAB-s which req a solid CPU, ergo I cannot go bellow i5 6600k :)

I do not have the funds to go for an i7 6700k, this should be enough. If i clock it to 4,2 it should demolish the calculations, as i belive they feed on single core power

Autocad is quite crap on multi core usage. So overclocked 6600K should be enough for that yes. 6700K on current prices is waste of money.

Drillingmachine remember that a quad Intel will act like an octo in Windows.  Eight cores should be sufficient for most CAD.

Quad core cannot be octa core, not even with SMT.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

Last i checked in any case the performance cap when it comes to more cores with  threaded code isn't that you have more cores or less up to a point but lack of memory bandwidth, to really make a 8 core or more cores do something you have have to up the speed of the main system memory by like 1000% and this is possible to do, we can make ram like that its just no one wants to pay for it.

Ballpark numbers: two cores is 50% faster then one, 4 cores is 25% faster then 2, 8 cores is 12.5% faster then 4.

total at best 8 cores vs 1 = 2x performance difference.

As well i know what the synthetic benchmarks like to say, imho their fake numbers.

And a overclocked 6600k @ all most 5000mgz will rock, don't know if that air cooler will work out for that though.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

Last i checked in any case the performance cap when it comes to more cores with  threaded code isn't that you have more cores or less up to a point but lack of memory bandwidth, to really make a 8 core or more cores do something you have have to up the speed of the main system memory by like 1000% and this is possible to do, we can make ram like that its just no one wants to pay for it.

Ballpark numbers: two cores is 50% faster then one, 4 cores is 25% faster then 2, 8 cores is 12.5% faster then 4.

total at best 8 cores vs 1 = 2x performance difference.

As well i know what the synthetic benchmarks like to say, imho their fake numbers.

I don't know where you got idea that memory bandwidth is limiting performance. As practically 8 cores is around 7.7x faster than 1 core.

#13 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

I see you know little about the topic my friend, not trying to troll or be rude just saying.......................

On this test with software made for more then one core at best your looking at 3x difference from 1 core vs 10 and past ten cores the extra cores start stalling each other and the code.

20 cores vs 8 cores = 20 is slower then 8, they don't speed things up they slow things down, remember only one cpu core can access memory at any given time if one core grabs the ram by the balls it blocks and stalls all the rest of the cores.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Solidworks-2016-Multi-Core-Performance-741/

This is good too, and no 8 cores isn't 8x faster then one.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3039552/hardware/tested-how-many-cpu-cores-you-really-need-for-directx-12-gaming.html

Mod Edit:  Merged posts - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 15 December 2016 - 04:36 PM.

#14 RMWasp

RMWasp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:47 PM

hahah thanks for the ansewrs, but the PC is being shiped to me as we speak :) 

Hava a nice day!

#15 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:19 PM

I see you know little about the topic my friend, not trying to troll or be rude just saying.......................

On this test with software made for more then one core at best your looking at 3x difference from 1 core vs 10 and past ten cores the extra cores start stalling each other and the code.

20 cores vs 8 cores = 20 is slower then 8, they don't speed things up they slow things down, remember only one cpu core can access memory at any given time if one core grabs the ram by the balls it blocks and stalls all the rest of the cores.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Solidworks-2016-Multi-Core-Performance-741/

This is good too, and no 8 cores isn't 8x faster then one.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3039552/hardware/tested-how-many-cpu-cores-you-really-need-for-directx-12-gaming.html

8 cores is faster than 20 if software does not use more than 8 cores. If software uses 20 cores, then 20 cores is faster than 8 cores (assuming cores are similar of course).

From links you provided we can see for example this:

http://core0.staticworld.net/images/article/2016/02/dx12_cpu_cinebench_r15_all_cores-100647717-orig.png

As you can see, 8 cores is over 2x faster than 4 cores (small enough difference to go for error margin).

And here 20 cores is around 20x faster than 1 core

https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=37955&width=800&height=800

That slowdown has nothing to do with memory bandwidth. Slowdown comes from operating system's habit to switch threads from core to core. Therefore single thread task should be allocated to one single core and not to allow operating system switch it between cores.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users