Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Enough?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ngarskel

Ngarskel

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:54 PM

New laptop, Posted awhile back, but decided to see if anything had changed since then.

Wondering if my protection is good enough...I'm connected to a universitis internet service.

Installed programs:

Spybot S&D
Ad-Aware SE 1.06
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster

Webroot Spysweeper (Paied)
NAV 2k6 Internet Securities (Paied)

Generally run NAV and Spysweeper every few days, Spybot is run right after spysweeper..Adaware is every week or so.

I know my ISP (NCSU ResNet) Has filters on there server, and will even detect viruses on a users computer and block there computer from accessing the network...

Anything I might add, or is this enough?

Cheers

Quick Addon

User Thunderbird and Firefox, IE-Spyard was added for my IE as well

Edited by Ngarskel, 27 August 2006 - 07:58 PM.

"Fear those who find all things simple, for they will make all things difficult." -Mercedes Lackey
"There are only two infinites; The universe and stupidity."
"One man can be stupid, however if you want real bon'fid'a stupidity; their ain't nuten like teamwork."

[-AdAware-] [-Spybot S&D-] [-Webroot SpySweeper-] [-AVG Anti-Spywear-] [-SpywareGuard-] [-SpywareBlaster-][-AVG Free / Comodo Firewall -][[HijackThis!]]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

Looks good.
The only thing I'd add is Ewido.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

Right, Ewido is downloaded, installed, updated and scan run.. Nothing detected..

I was thinking about downloading that for awhile, but decided to see if I needed anything else

Do you recommend purchasing it after the trial expires?
"Fear those who find all things simple, for they will make all things difficult." -Mercedes Lackey
"One man can be stupid, however if you want real bon'fid'a stupidity; their ain't nuten like teamwork."

[-AdAware-] [-Spybot S&D-] [-Webroot SpySweeper-] [-AVG Anti-Spywear-] [-SpywareGuard-] [-SpywareBlaster-][-AVG Free / Comodo Firewall -][[HijackThis!]]

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

After the trial, it still works.
You just have to update it manually.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

I was thinking more about the resident shields...Or will I be fine with Spywareblaster, norton and spysweepers active scanners/shields?

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:46 PM

If you already have real-time anti-spyware protection, then use the other anti-spyware programs as on-demand programs. Having two real-time anti-spyware programs running may cause conflicts.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

Depends on your surfing habits.
The only things I have running in realtime is my AV (AVG), Spywareblaster, Spywareguard, and Spybot's TeaTimer, and I haven't had any problems in 4 yrs, but then again, I'm careful about what sites I go to.

Something to help in deciding which sites to go to, and which not to go to, that I also use, is Siteadvisor.
SiteAdvisor is a downloadable tool that works with Firefox, and IE, to help you, stay safe while you browse, stay safe while you search, and click to see a site's report page.
Red sites - stay away from
Yellow sites - use caution (read the report page on the site, and decide for yourself)
Green sites - good to go

I see you use Firefox, so download the Firefox extension.
A tip:
If you decide to use SiteAdvisor, and a new version comes out, don't update it.
Uninstall it, then download and install the new version.
Some people have been having problems with the updating process.

Here's a good site to go to, to check questionable links:
LinkScanner

Why use LinkScanner?

Cybercriminals use "lure" sites to attract web users to sites they have invisibly infected with exploit code. This exploit code is then used to infect users' PCs with drive-by downloads of spyware, rootkits, and other malware.

* Just because you click a link doesn't mean you'll land on the site you thought you would
* Just because a site looks innocent doesn't mean the underlying code is harmless
* Just because a search engine serves up a listing doesn't mean you can trust it

#8 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:13 PM

Heh...I'm a college student, I cant afford to lose my pc..I'm paranoid about where I go..And I've been looking for that firefox extension, but forgot what it was called.

I dont use spybot's teatimer, I heard it was abit of a resource hog

SiteAdvisor extension...

Thanks guys, anyway.. 8am english class tomorrow...Bed is calling..

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

I dont use spybot's teatimer, I heard it was abit of a resource hog

I run 512MB of RAM, and have never found it to be a resource hog, and it has saved me on more than one occasion, as the wife refuses to use Firefox.

Edited by tg1911, 27 August 2006 - 11:29 PM.

#10 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:12 AM

I only use IE on pages that wont load correctly in ff...I'll give it a try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users