Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer anomaly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 coolmanoh

coolmanoh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

I have an unusual situation regarding one of my folders. The folder is called LETTERS. It contains letters not related to SPAIN and a subfolder SPAIN of letters sent to various organizations in SPAIN. I can display the LETTERS folder two different ways:

1. Bring up Windows Explorer.

Click on Documents in the left pane.

Click on Personal Documents, left pane.

Click on LETTERS, right pane.

2. Bring up Windows Explorer.

Click on Libraries in the left pane.

Click on Documents icon, right pane.

Click on Personal Documents, right pane.

Click on LETTERS, right pane.

If I use option 1, I see the SPAIN subfolder and all the non-Spain letters.

If I use option 2, I see all Spain letters and non-Spain letters all together and no SPAIN subfolder.

My question: Why would Windows Explorer show the contents of a folder two different ways depending on how it is accessed? If I look at this folder using CMD prompt commands (cd, dir, etc.), the folder appears normal. I have found no other folder on my system that displays differently depending on how it is accessed. ,,,,,,,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

Beats me, all i know is windows loves to hide things.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:13 PM

I think elsewhere somebody explained Libraries, junctions, folders -- if I can find that post -- I'll link it here.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users