Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi not working on desktop pc.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Darren030605

Darren030605

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

Hello everyone, I just moved to a new place and the WiFi is broadband compared to my old connection whitch was slower. I have a desktop pc with windows 10 and never had a problem connecting before.

Here's where I am lost, everything else including roku, my gf's laptop everything else connects to the WiFi just fine, except my desktop. I have tried resetting the adapter, installing new drivers, even tried a command prompt thing whitch kept telling me wrong command.

I am planning on getting a Wifi extender in the hopes that it will let me connect to the pc or at least I can use Ethernet. Does anyone here have a suggestion for me? Or something that worked for you? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:27 PM

Please execute batch scripts from below links and tell us the result.

Restore Windows Services To Default Startup Settings

Repair TCP/IP Protocol Suite Errors

Edited by FreeBooter, 14 December 2016 - 03:27 PM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

it is also possible that you have the windows 10 networking bug

it can be rectified by installing the latest patch from microsoft
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4004227/windows-10-update-kb3206632

you might get internet again to download the patch by running a cmd prompt as administrator

then type the following text and press enter:
netsh winsock reset

then type the following text and press enter:
netsh int ip reset reset.log

like it is done in this video:

then you need to reboot and now it should be up again

this would be an excellent time to go and download all the latest windows updates

hth!

tfn

Edited by toofarnorth, 14 December 2016 - 03:48 PM.

#4 Darren030605

Darren030605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for the tips, I will try them out and report my findings.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:46 AM

All you need to do is a 'restart' to get your connection back. Don't choose shutdown.

From a Microsoft Engineer monitoring a reddit thread.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/5i57fr/december_windows_10_cumulative_updates_kb3206632/db5j928/

A service crash that broke DHCP. The correct mitigation was/is a restart (not shutdown/reboot, but start - power - restart). Friday's update mitigated by triggering such a restart, but today's update has the actual fix. Makes sense? Thanks! :-)

Then you can do the update which has the fix built in it.

#6 Darren030605

Darren030605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

Tried the restart and that didn't work either. Also tried the winsock reset and nothing either. I am completely lost as to what is the solution other than buying a Wifi booster and either hoping my computer can connect to that or using the Ethernet from it.

So frustrating!

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:49 AM

Did you try both of Freebooter's tips?

What did you mean by this?

even tried a command prompt thing whitch kept telling me wrong command.

#8 Darren030605

Darren030605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

It was a command prompt line that apparently deleted something in the registry to make the WiFi work again. I tried the winsock reset exe and that did not work. I will try to do the windows update and see if that works, do you know of a way to download the update and apply it via USB stick?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:29 PM

You need to go to the Windows Update Catalog and download the patch from there. See the Windows Update Catalog link towards the bottom of the page under "How to get this Update" for the standalone installer. You can only access the Catalog using IE. There is a search box on the Update Catalog page where you can input the KB number for the patch.

If that does not work then Download Windows Repair and only check the Network Repair Box.

You can verify if this is a hardware issue by downloading a linux distro like Mint to see if it picks up your Wifi signal. If not then there is the possibility your Wifi chipset has failed.

Mint Cinnamon is a good distro. Burn the iso to a DVD disk, boot and it should detect any wifi signals. You may need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings.

Was this an upgrade from a previous OS?

#10 Darren030605

Darren030605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:55 AM

Yes, I downloaded the free upgrade from windows 7. I could connect to my old Wifi no problem, but it was not a fast broadband connection, as the neighborhood was not set up for high speed.

#11 Darren030605

Darren030605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:14 AM

It can connect to my smartphone hotspot and when I try to connect to the WiFi upstairs it says "No internet, secured"

Again I ask, if none of this works, can I just buy a Wifi booster and use Ethernet?

Edited by Darren030605, 22 December 2016 - 03:27 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

It can connect to my smartphone hotspot and when I try to connect to the WiFi upstairs it says "No internet, secured"

Again I ask, if none of this works, can I just buy a Wifi booster and use Ethernet?

This question would better be answered in the Networking Forum.

Instead of using Ethernet have you considered using a USB dongle for Wifi. For a desktop I would recommend one with an antenna. Make sure it is compatible with Windows 10. Regarding the Booster, there are Extenders but you would not use Ethernet. It would depend on if the your current Wifi would reach the Extender.  What type of Wifi network you have, broadband or slow DSL should not make a difference on whether the Wifi adapter in your computer can connect or not. 

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX7000.aspx

For a USB dongle this one is fairly reasonable and compatible with Windows 10.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 December 2016 - 09:20 AM.

#13 Darren030605

Darren030605
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

Thanks, I'll look into those. Yes the WiFi can reach the extender cuz everything else connects just fine to the WiFi. As to when you said I would not use Ethernet, why is that? How come I couldn't just use the Ethernet as a sort of "loop hole"?

Ps. Tried the windows repair tool as well as the windows 10 update and neither of those worked :(

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

Yes, you could use internet if you ran a cat5 or cat6 cable from your computer to your modem or router. Is this what you are referring to when connecting via Ethernet? If using a Wifi extender you would still be using Wifi to connect to the extender, not Ethernet. 

I would boot a live linux disk and see if it detects your wifi network. The cost would only be that of a DVD or you can use a spare USB flash drive. I can post instructions if interested. It would at least confirm if the Wifi adapter itself and not Windows 10 is the problem.

Have you tried Safe Mode with Networking? There may be some conflict during boot with another service that is causing the problem.

If the router and the room with your computer is on the same electrical circuit there are powerline adapters that use the house wiring to transmit your signal.

See the heading Powerline Adapters.

#15 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:59 PM

do you have a phone with hotspot functionality?

try activating it and see if your pc can connect to it

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204023
https://www.lifewire.com/use-your-android-phone-as-a-portable-wi-fi-hotspot-2377915

if you can connect to those the wifi hardware is working and there has to be an incompability between your wifi card and router

if you cant something might be wrong with the wifi hardware in your computer.
then a usb stick would work

or.. you could just use cable and connect. still for a laptop its a bit of a drag to plug in the cable every time :)

hth!

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users