Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Transferring existing Win10 Installation to new HDD or SSD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,543 posts
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

Hello All,

This has almost certainly been discussed before, but trying to find the simple answer (or I hope it's simple) I'm looking for has proven to be a challenge.

On earlier versions of Windows, when I wanted or needed to change out the HDD that is the boot device, usually for a larger HDD, all I would do was clone the existing HDD to the new one, use a partition manager to extend the new HDD space or create a new logical drive on that physical HDD, then "plug n' play" with that new drive.  I would imagine the same thing is possible if you're going for a smaller SSD and what's currently on the HDD does not exceed the capacity of the SSD.  It's been so long since I've cloned a disc that I don't know whether "clone with shrink" is even allowed.

However, I do not know whether either technique would work under Windows 10.  Is it possible to do either of the above?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,137 posts
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

Clone the disk from the HDD to the SSD using Aomei Backupper Standard. Aomei allows you to fit the partitions to the SSD during the clone as default and also to align the partitions. This as you say works if the data on the HDD is less than the capacity of the SSD.

Also after the clone and before the boot I would disconnect the HDD. Sometime Windows gets loopy when you restart the computer after a clone with both drives attached. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users