Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading 7 yr old pc - suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

Hello, I always end up here when I'm looking for computer answers on google and I solve my problems through the questions of others. But now I have a question of my own and I was hoping you all could help.

I have $600-$700 (Canadian) to spend. I play Civilization VI and X-Com 2 and my two goals are to play nicely at high settings and to significantly shorten the loading screen times, which for Civ VI are 2 minutes! I can use only one hand so I don't need to be able to run shooter type games.

Here's my system now:

[CPU]        AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (Thuban)
[Display]    AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
[Memory]  8 gb Single-channel DDR3 1333Mhz
[Storage]   A hard drive

And here's what I'm thinking of changing:

[CPU] AMD FX-6300 3.5 Ghz 6-Core

[Display] Gigabyte GeForce 1060 Windforce OC 6Gb

[Memory] 8 gb Single-channel DDR3 1333Mhz

[Storage] A hard drive and  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" 6Gb/s

My two questions are: Are these good changes to make? And will these work with my Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard.

Thanks so much to anyone who can take the time to help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:04 PM

Xcom 2 is poorly optimized game so it runs quite badly even on some high end machines. And to be honest, it's totally crappy game on every aspect except graphics and IMO most overrated turn based "game" ever. I'm fan of turn based games and can give you examples of much better turn based games if you want.

As for running those games:

- GPU is somewhat OK for turn based games in general. If you still want better, consider Radeon RX 470 instead.

- FX-6300 is around same class as P II X6 1100T so I don't consider that change an upgrade.

- Samsung 850 Evo is using TLC NAND that has proven to be unreliable in the past. I recommend something better like Crucial BX100 or A-Data Premier Pro SP600.

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:38 PM

[CPU]        AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (Thuban)

[CPU] AMD FX-6300 3.5 Ghz 6-Core

The FX-6300 is weaker then the Phenom you're using. AMD really messed up with the AM3+ FX series. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for your help, guys! It's greaatly appreciated.

#5 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

In my opinion, the graphics on XCOM 2 don't look a whole lot better once you start going above medium.

Xcom 2 is poorly optimized game so it runs quite badly even on some high end machines. And to be honest, it's totally crappy game on every aspect except graphics and IMO most overrated turn based "game" ever. I'm fan of turn based games and can give you examples of much better turn based games if you want.

As for running those games:

- GPU is somewhat OK for turn based games in general. If you still want better, consider Radeon RX 470 instead.

- FX-6300 is around same class as P II X6 1100T so I don't consider that change an upgrade.

- Samsung 850 Evo is using TLC NAND that has proven to be unreliable in the past. I recommend something better like Crucial BX100 or A-Data Premier Pro SP600.

A 1060 6GB outclasses the RX 470. A comparable GPU would be the RX 480 but both of those cards are more than enough for 1080p (Unless we're talking about XCOM 2 :mellow: ). On another note, I quite enjoyed XCOM 2 although I feel that the RNG does play a significantly larger part in the game as opposed to other turn based games and even the predecessor, XCOM: Enemy Unknown. I'd much prefer it if I could complete Commander Ironman without missing those 95% shots...

Back on to topic, you could add parts around the MOBO on this site to see whether they are compatiable https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2nzWJV Just make sure the compatibility filter is on.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:00 PM

RDX 470 is cheaper and good for very large majority (95% or so) of turn based games. XCom 2 has no free rotating camera so it does not need much power from video card. First I would change SSD and keep video card upgrade until turn based games really need good graphics.

XCom 2 has same problem that plagues Blackguards. It's not skill, it's pure luck. Because of RNG and lack of units/actions yes. Another problem are XCom 2's skills (like Serial or Ruler reaction) that essentially mean XCom 2 is NOT turn based game.

As for compatibility, listed parts are compatible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users