Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly cannot print for some reason

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fredheidjr

Fredheidjr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:11 AM

• Using a Toshiba laptop that was purchased with Window 8 and later upgraded to Windows 10.
  • Printing was not an issue until early NOV 2016. I believe WIN 10 updates had something to do with this.
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Brother driver to no avail.
  • After uninstalling I cannot remove the device in "Device Manager". With the driver installed I get a msg saying the print spooler is not running.
  • When I manually start it and it indicates it is running, I get the same msg when trying to access the printer.
  • Now I cannot install the driver.  Some sort of unexpected error.
  • Printer is a Brother MFC-J430W but that should not be an issue because it used to work fine.

Frustrating!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

How is the printer connected to the computer?

What happens when you try to print?

If the printer is directly connected to the computer disconnect it, then completely remove the driver you have installed now. - Here are instructions.

Once the driver has been removed download the current driver from Brother.  Install the driver and then connect the computer.

#3 Fredheidjr

Fredheidjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:09 PM

I cannot access the printer or Microsoft XPS Document Writer in Devices and Printers because the "Print Spooler Service Iis Not Running".  When I start the Print Spooler and go back to access the printer I get the same msg.

#4 Fredheidjr

Fredheidjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

Oh, and the printer is not connected to the computer.  When attempting to print I get the "Print Spooler........" msg.

#5 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

try this fixit tool from microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2793718

if you dont have any problems with reinstalling the drivers i would suggest you run the full version 

hth!

tfn

#6 Fredheidjr

Fredheidjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:07 AM

12-15-16  A little background. Some months ago the DVD drive ceased to function.  I suspected this was due to WIN updates for one thing, because I tried an external DVD and it would not work either. Although the DVD icons were there the drive(s) would not work. Drivers were there but no go.  Took the machine to Best Buy.  They reinstalled WIN 10 and the drive(s) now function.  Now to present.  Since the reinstallation worked for Best Buy, I thought I would try a reinstallation with the printer issue. Learned that the machine can be reset, which I tried and encountered an error. I am considering a clean install but am somewhat apprehensive about it. I have the files saved that I want to keep but would rather forgo the hassle of reinstalling programs.  By the way, the "fixit" link from Microsoft did not work. Rec'd a msg that it was not longer available.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:40 AM

Uninstall the brother driver and any brother software in control panel. After the uninstall go to Devices and Printers. Click on the XPS document writer and in the menu bar you should see Printer Server Properties. Click it and under the Driver tab remove all Brother drivers. Try reinstalling the driver.

#8 Fredheidjr

Fredheidjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

The problem is that the print spooler is not recognized. Therefore, any printer related icon that you click on says "Print spooler is not running......." or something to that effect.  When I start the print spooler (which does not start automatically) I get the same msg when trying to access a printer or the XPS Document Writer.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

From a quick google losing the print spooler seems to be a common problem in Windows 10. Double click the Print Spooler Service. Under the Dependency tab you will see that the spooler depends on the RPC service. Make sure it is started.

If the RPC service is started then repair the print spooler. Download Windows Repair and only check the Print Spooler box.

Edit: November was when Microsoft pushed out the Anniversary Update for Windows 10.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 December 2016 - 11:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users