Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about the password reset disc for Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JimConsidine

JimConsidine

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:37 AM

I am sitting here suffering from the malady of forgetting my administrator's password for my Windows 7/64 bit system. On Sunday, I was working on deleting my plethora of Yahoo! accounts. Somewhere along the line, I get a message that I needed to create a nonadministrator's account for my PC. I said okay and I did it. The next day, I booted the computer and I tried to return to the administrator's account. Somewhere along the timeline, my administrator's password had been changed. I try to be really fastidious about keeping track of my passwords, so this really distressed me that I do not have the correct password.

I have read and understand why Bleeping Computer cannot assist locating a password. But I do have one question regarding the password reset disc. Naturally, I never created one of those, though I am sure if I was aware that I needed one, that I would have taken the time to create a disc. However, I do have a repair disc which I created on July 11, 2010. I assume that the repair disc will not assist me with finding my administrator's password? If I am wrong, and this disc would solve the problem, I would appreciate it greatly if someone would let me know. In addition, if someone has encountered this before and would have suggestions on who I can seek assistance from, I would be most appreciative.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:08 PM

Hope this helps. Only enable the hidden Administrator Account. Do not reset your password.

http://www.wintips.org/enable-administrator-account-or-reset-admin-account-password-windows-8-windows-7-or-windows-vista/

#3 JimConsidine

JimConsidine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:21 PM

John,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with the hidden account administrator and I am just trying to get back to where I can sign in and have access to all functions and files that were set up as an account administrator. Your message confuses me as to what advantage is gained.

Jim

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:46 PM

Enabling the hidden Administrator Account will allow you to access all files on all accounts plus reset the password on any account.

#5 JimConsidine

JimConsidine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for the clarification. 

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

[moot, got it!]

Edited by RolandJS, 14 December 2016 - 05:11 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users