Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to add bookmarks from HDD (Firefox 37) to current HDD (Firefox 50).

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 GSGregg

GSGregg

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:21 AM

Hello;

As stated in the topic title, I'm running Firefox 50 on my current harddrive, but would like to add the more extensive bookmark collection on my previous, now non-booting, HDD, which is Drive F:\ and residing in an external enclosure. While it won't run the computer, I can still read, move and copy files.

So, according to Firefox 50's Help articles, all of the bookmarks are stored in a Profiles folder, %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\9wf0e760.default\, and the file in question is places.sqlite at about 20MB. Looking in F:\, the same string ends with Profiles folder vaqn87gd, but there is neither a places file nor any file of even a single MB.

So, does anyone know what Firefox 37 file stores the bookmarks? Depending on which FF version is being examined, there are files named bookmarkbackups or sessionstore-backups, but they hold only the 15 most recent bookmarks, rather than the entire library.....

I did consult Mozilla Support for several hours over the last two days, but my question didn't seem to fit into their rather regimented format (story of my..... :nono: )

Thanks to whoever has the patience for my 'white elephant'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:09 AM

There should be a bookmarks backup folder in your profile folder.

If not then you can copy the whole profile to the new hard drive and open up that profile with the firefox profile manager. Be careful not to overwrite your existing profile. Once you open the new profile you created backup the bookmarks to a .json file and copy it to your desktop. Open the default profile and import the .json file from the desktop. Make sure you backup your existing bookmarks of your default profile first. I am not sure if the json file created from the external drive profile will overwrite the bookmarks on your existing profile.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/transfer-firefox-profile-new-computer-78755.html

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

#3 GSGregg

GSGregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:57 AM

Hello, JohnC_21;

Thanks for taking the time to help, but the more I stare at this stuff, the more I feel like the chicken mesmerized by the painted white line. Case in point; according to Firefox Help, start Profile Manager by closing Firefox, then click the Menu button and Exit. But when Firefox is closed, the Menu button is not visible! Sure, I can use Start > Run, but what gives---a typo, or procedure relevant to some other OS? (I run XP-SP3, and I'm pretty sure Firefox recognizes that)

There is indeed a 'bookmarkbackups' folder in each hard drive's profile, but only the 15 most recent bookmarks are listed, where I'm after the entire library of perhaps 40---or more---that I can add to the existing 'places.sqlite' file and have only one profile rather than be required to choose between two or more.

Once you open the new profile you created backup the bookmarks to a .json file and copy it to your desktop.

There are 17 json files in C:\ and 11 in F:\ --- do I use one of them, create and name my own, or.....?

I gave the Profile Manager a dry run and never saw a checkbox or anything else regarding overwriting or avoiding overwriting, but I assume that if a file is loaded or transferred that happens to be a duplicate of an existing one, only one will survive. If I find a way to open 'places.sqlite', I should be able to control duplication---except that that file does not exist in my F:\ ---even though it supposedly has been used since Firefox 3 (!?)

I would give a file/folder screenie, but my comp is doing a weird freeze-up every so often; if I'm connected to the internet, it may function for a few minutes or several hours before having to restart, but using Windows Explorer almost guarantees a freeze-up within 3 to 5 minutes. A restart is always successful.....but for how long?

I guess this is a long-enough rant; Thanks, John.

Gregg

Edited by GSGregg, 16 December 2016 - 07:01 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:16 AM

Just to clarify, if you have the bookmarks backup folder each json file has all your bookmarks inside it. The last json file would have all bookmarks on that date. Is this what you are looking for? Is so you can take the most recent json file on your external drive and restore it to firefox. 

See this guide on restoring bookmark backups.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/restore-bookmarks-from-backup-or-move-them

You select File in the dropdown list and browse to the latest JSON file on your F: drive in the bookmarks backup folder. But again, backup your the bookmarks on the C: drive as I do not know if your current backups will be overwritten. You can backup a json file to the desktop by going to firefox bookmarks manager and selecting Backup. You can also export your bookmarks to an HTML file. I would also do that.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer

#5 GSGregg

GSGregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:53 AM

Sorry to be non-responsive, John, but if I open a non-internet feature (such as Windows Explorer, so I can play with files) the computer freezes before I have time to choose my attack plan. As long as I stay on websites, video streams, or gaming, problems are far less frequent.

I did manage to copy the last dot-json file to desktop and open it with Notepad, but it doesn't look like anything I can click-n-drag---at least, not until I know where to separate things.

{"guid":"root________","title":"","index":0,"dateAdded":1438707071750000,"lastModified":1472120847370000,"id":1,"type":"text/x-moz-place-container","root":"placesRoot","children":[{"guid":"menu________","title":"Bookmarks Menu","index":0,"dateAdded":1438707071750000,"lastModified":1477362428000000,"id":2,"type":"text/x-moz-place-container","root":"bookmarksMenuFolder","children":[{"guid":"esD1DbGoGsKl","title":"Recently Bookmarked","index":0,"dateAdded":1438707077093000,"lastModified":1472120845234000,"id":13,"type":"text/x-moz-place","uri":"place:folder=BOOKMARKS_MENU&folder=UNFILED_BOOKMARKS&folder=TOOLBAR&queryType=1&sort=12&maxResults=10&excludeQueries=1"},

I just pulled from the top of the page, but I don't know whether these are three bookmarks, one three-part bookmark, or just part of an even larger one---and there are supposed to be fifteen.....

:wacko:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

You will not be able to see your bookmarks in the .json file. It is not like a HTML file. You can import the json file in Firefox.If possible copy the json file with the latest date to your flash drive. Then Restore it, not import it. Remember importing this json file may overwrite your current bookmarks so export your current bookmarks to a HTML file.

Are you saying the computer freezes when accessing the old HDD or the new HDD freezes with or without the hard drive attached.

#7 GSGregg

GSGregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:45 AM

Aargh! Enough of the Holiday Hubbub (but hopefully yours treated you all right.....

After what must have been close to two hours, my computer froze up again and I lost about three paragraphs of this reply. I don't see a 'Save Draft' button anywhere, but I don't know that the draft will survive the glitch, anyway. I guess I'll have to put it on Notepad every so often, so as to have less to recompose and retype (I'm already slow enough!). Oops!  I switched to More Reply Options, and see "View Auto Saved Content", so maybe I'll get through this after all.

Anyway, I couldn't figure how to make the import/restore utility combine an F:\ bookmark backup into C:\ 's bookmarkbackups; apparently, the file being targeted for the procedure must be on 'this' (C:\) computer, the one on which Firefox is installed, and there is no longer a Firefox version on 'that' (F:\) computer.

So, I copied and pasted the entire F:\ profile vaqn87gd into C:\ 's Profiles folder along with 9wf0e760.default , then opened the latest backup with Notepad.....

And it all turned to crud.

I expected the text to look like what I posted in post #5, but instead got something out of a communist plot. The following is a forum topic that I kept handy:

THEY LOST ONE OF MY '66 GS MOUNTS!!! (And how I recovered)

(Opening post begins) GM# 1372540: $12 ea. @ Buick in 1979; discontinued by 1989,

but here's what F:\ spit back at me:

”0THE¢`ST ONEœðMY '66 GS MOUNTS!!! (T‚ õMIØ< ~7ed)?é -‹_68425©f  À+/30?Ì&v8©4K@GM# Òð540: $12 ea. @ BuickŸP1979;òs

”0THE¢`ST ONEœðMY '66 GS MOUNTS!!! (T‚ õMIØ< ~7ed)?é -‹_68425©f  À+/30?Ì&v8©4K@GM# Òð540: $12 ea. @ BuickŸP1979;òs

The three are on consecutive backups spanning a month, so whatever happened was at least consistent. So, a breakable encryption? Or, my files are scrambled beyond hope. I have no idea what happened to that HDD; supposedly just a vidcard DISabled before the onboard was ENabled. I guess I'll have to hunt 'em down if I want 'em.....

Regarding my freeze-ups; they occur on both drives, although the F:\ is just external storage and will not access the internet, stream TV/Videos or (WHOA---just had another one---luckily I had finished all but this paragraph) play games (although, come to think of it, I haven't tried games on F:\ with C:\ working)---when I have more time, I'll try some out.

Say, how does one acknowledge another's help and time here? I see no Thanks, Likes, Karma Points, etc, but for the Facebook button, and I'm not on social media.....

Anyway, thanks, JohnC_21

Gregg

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

Sorry, I lost track of this thread.

It should not make a difference which driver letter the .json file is associated with.  You cannot open the profile with notepad. 

Do the following.

Start > Run    

type:   firefox.exe -p

This will open up the firefox profile manager. Click the Add New Profile button. Give it a name of Old Computer. Make a note of the path and profile name that the profile is save to.

C:\Users\<yourname>\appdata\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\  

Click Finish. Do not click the Choose Folder button. Note: Uncheck the box to use this profile at startup. Press Exit.

Browse to the new profile you created. Open it and delete all files in the new profile folder.  Open the 9wf0e760.default folder from the old computer and copy the contents to the profile you just created. 

Click Start > Run

type:

firefox.exe -p

Highlight the new profile and click Start. Do you see your old bookmarks?

There are no thanks or thumbs up at BC. Thanks in the post is fine.

#9 GSGregg

GSGregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:30 AM

Sorry, I lost track of this thread.

Understandable, what with hearing nothing from me for six days....

Case in point; according to Firefox Help, start Profile Manager by closing Firefox, then click the Menu button and Exit. But when Firefox is closed, the Menu button is not visible!

It took me way too long to realize that that description was for ONE step, and not two! After a few other self-induced ambiguities, the copy-and-pasting was something familiar, and worked well.

Highlight the new profile and click Start. Do you see your old bookmarks?

Sure do---all 122 of them! I may still try to combine them in a single profile, but for now I'm satisfied.

There are no thanks or thumbs up at BC. Thanks in the post is fine.

Then, Thanks in the Post it'll be, sir!  :thumbsup:

Gregg

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

Your Welcome and I am glad you now have your old bookmarks. Have a Happy and Peaceful New Year.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:31 AM

GSGregg, how did you get Firefox 50?  Mine only goes to 40-something.  I'm running Windows 7, is that the reason I cannot go to Firefox 50?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:10 AM

RolandJS, you may have the ESR, extended service release, which is still at 45, or it may be you have a processor which does not have the SSE2 extension. Firefox 48 is the last supported version for CPUs without the SSE2 extension. Older AMD Athlons are an example. You should upgrade to the ESR version if your CPU does not have SSE2 or download 50 and install. It will keep all your settings. No need to uninstall the old version

If you go to Firefox about it should say ESR.

#13 GSGregg

GSGregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

RolandJS;

It's not HOW I got it, but WHY? FF updated to 37 around Apr 7, 2015 and to 50 on Nov 16, 2016. That's thirteen updates in 19-1/2 months, and I don't recall being asked in quite a while---sometimes "Congratulations" just comes up as the start page. They're about as prolific over there as Isaac Asimov was.....

Sometimes they 'fix sumpthin' that ain't broke', but like Chicago weather; if you don't like it, wait five minutes. It'll change.

Gregg

#14 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

Hi:

For the record, Firefox has been on a "rapid release" calendar, with a new build approximately every 6 weeks, for several years. It's not a new concept.

More details here:

Rapid Release/Calendar

The most current release builds are always available HERE (this is the US site).

ESR builds are available HERE.

As for transferring profile data, such as bookmarks, there are several ways to do that, such as here, through the use of FEBE, through the use of Mozbackup (no longer officially supported, but still works for most things), or by manual export/import

But I think the OP has succeeded with that now, or not?

HTH,

MM

#15 GSGregg

GSGregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:07 PM

As for transferring profile data, such as bookmarks, there are several ways to do that, such as here, through the use of FEBE, through the use of Mozbackup (no longer officially supported, but still works for most things), or by manual export/import

But I think the OP has succeeded with that now, or not?

Hello, MM;

My original hope was to have new (currently 55) and old (122 accumulated over 4-1/2 years) in a single profile. I guess, outside of losing mental focus when leaving some page or paragraph to view another, my main concern was losing bookmarks to overwriting---but using Copy/Paste to reload a hollowed-out 'times' JSON file (the New Profile) avoided that. So, maybe I can paste from TWO profiles into the New Profile? 

...but I'm thinking now of whether I can run both simultaneously, as with two or more web searches without a second browser.

Gregg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users