Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 - SFC found corrupt files but unable to fix some of them

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 compbuff

compbuff

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:35 AM

Hi,

I’m not sure if I have a problem or not. My windows explorer did act a little strange the other day, with it suddenly not refreshing and folders suddenly going blank and folder and file names turning black and then being unresponsive a couple of days ago and yet it has been fine since and has not displayed any strange behaviour. I did do windows updates and did a Malwarebytes scan as well as an Avast full scan, both of which are premium programs.

I also ran system file checker which said Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them and details were included in the CBS.log which is attached.

For the record my laptop is not running slow. I don't appear to have any problems with running any software, my browsers are functioning normally and there is no apparent issue. So it may be that I don’t have an issue with my windows OS but since my windows file explorer was acting odd a few days ago maybe the CBS log might explain something? I would be curious to see if maybe any of my Windows System files might have been affected and the whether the registry may have any corrupt files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key, in the menu that opens click or tap on Command Prompt (Admin).  This will open the Elevated Command prompt.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer to complete the repair.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:09 PM

Hi and thank you for your reply!

I carried out the suggested task although the only thing it mentioned was the component store corruption was repaired but the operation was completed successfully and no other details. The I re-ran the sfc \scannow which completed and said it did not find any integrity violations, so hopefully that is definitely a good thing and hopefully the problem will be resolved!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:44 AM

"The operation completed successfully" means that the store was repaired.  Rerunning the sfc /scannow and getting the "No integrity violations were found" means that the corrupt files were repaired.  

If you have any further problems you can at least take comfort in the knowledge that it is not related to file corruption.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users