Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leis

leis

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:32 AM

I have started using firefox and have a few questions that pertain mostly to common procedures in setting it up. For instance, i like Start Page as my Search engine and Home Page and during searches, i like keeping the open window of search results (links) while hopping on a selection and that opens a window and so forth but i can always draw back to my original search page. So, i checked in setting in Start Page settings and ticked the open new window and for the most part it works out and other times, it doesn't as when the search is on, it'll take over the original search window, if that makes any clarity in the way I'm saying it.

Further, when ii hit the new tab page it opens up to firefox's window that shows tabs and different things you can choose from, etc and i'd kind of prefer just the open home page or other window that sort of like IE11 hitting the tab page opened up new home page is what I generally would do.
Customizing the tool bar seems to be a diffy as well as I wanted to set a HOME page icon on the tool bar under customization but I don't get it yet. Or that is, everything i thought i was customizing doesn't save and therefore, the only thing happening is on the toolbar part of the window is a search box to the upper right and then beside it a down arrow and next to that, Save to Pocket and then the 3 bars icon for menu. Under all that is the suggested sites and web slice gallery that i don't need. Therefore, i'm a little puzzled on setting it up and I'm not as savy as i was used to IE11 but it's junk or that is, it's too slow and just not workable like Firefox seems to be and better. I'd just like to get more into using it and know my way around.

I 'm sorry for long text running on this topic. I took a snippit picture but don't know how to include it here as a model or to just show what I described above as far as the toolbar settings. Any helpful suggestions appreciated and thanks for your time too!  Also, is there a quick way to delete temporary files, clear history etc...like in IE11 you'd just open the general tab and pretty much hit delete for temp files, cache, etc...

Leis

Edited by leis, 14 December 2016 - 12:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:32 AM

This is my preferences window...accessed via the three bars icon.

Note that I have set my downloads to be saved to Desktop. The "down arrow" is an indicator of a download being in process....and you can also click once on the arrow and it will show the progress of the download or you can simply click on the download itself ,if it is finished, to start the install process.

11khzk7.jpg

Take note that I have more than 1 home page. In fact I have 5. This achieved by putting a | between the url address of each home page. The | icon/key is just above the enter key.

For example you could have www.google.com  as 1 homepage and then the  |   icon....and perhaps http://www.latimes.com/ as the second one...your call of course.....or if you want to know a biot about Australia you could have http://www.abc.net.au/news/  !!

To keep your search page of links etc...you can either right click on the link of interest and select either open in a new tab or open in a new window.........or.. ...QuickDrag...      https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/quickdrag/

This nifty little add on is a life saver.

2hhgewh.jpg

That will give you a view of the add ons I use on my pc. I dont overload with add ons....they can actually slow a pc down if there are too many of them. I could easily afford to have double what i have ...but that is enough for me.

I have left  the preferences open for QuickDrag....those are the best settings.

To use it....left click on one of the links on a search page and simply flick the held link towards the 3 o clock position....It will open the link in a new tab....you can open as many links in this manner as you wish. It takes a little bit of practise...after a while it becomes second nature.

When you click on the 3 bar icon...go to the bottom of the box and it will say....Customize.  In the main window there will be a handfull of icons......select the one you want ...(home icon.....209k6sj.jpg)......left click....drag to wherever on the toolbar you want it......and releasse it.   To keep it there...click on the green 'exit customize" button in the bottom of the blue rectangle (this is what opened when you clicked on customize)

If there is something in the toolbar etc that you dont want there.....drag it back to the main window and drop it there....then....exit customize.

That will keep you going

have fun.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

You can keep a search-list page open as you select any items that you want to check further, by RIGHT-Clicking the item in the list, and select "Open link in New Tab"; and the linked address page will open into a new browser TAB.

#4 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:44 PM

Thanks a lot for your response both Condobloke and CafeJose!

With the given information laid out as Condobloke (you have) in detailed-form, i think there's a lot to explore and i should be

Firefoxing Feverly-fied (or something like that) soon enough after delving into this outline!!

i thank you for all the effort and personal input that looks like you know the browser inside/out forward and back again :)
I did start from a refresh and so it is now or more or less, i feel like i'm strarting more over again from scratch or start or new profile(?).

So far, i think it's becoming a lot familiar and i did add-on a You Tube Add on and maybe you have opinion or otherwise, but this one is HD it shows on the toolbar and is written or generated (i guess) by a guy's name it shows Baris Derrin, I believe) and from the looks of it, it is similar or about the same as your Mp3 YT add on you describe? I just want to be right on about add Ons and have lower resource usage, of course. I can see that the addons can become enundated once looking at the many and more of them out there.

Meanwhile, I'm now going to go ahead and bring the QuickDrag you talk and show about and get started with that i think and then go on to the next part of your model and sort of see what i can develop.

Thanks and Merry Christmas (too)*

leis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users