Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Video Card

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blarg2

blarg2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:55 PM

Hey Guys,

I am looking at getting a new video card. I have an old 5870 which has done me great, but it's crossfire partner died, and it's probably time to replace them. I am not looking to spend more then 250. I have an old Phenom II 955 and so I recognize that my 5870 is not my only bottleneck. Any suggestion? I would prefer Nvidia, even if I need to spend a little more. I will probably pick up a second card later down the line as well. 

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:00 AM

I would go for a powerful single card solution instead of SLI/Crossfire.  There is a bit of a driver overhead with the multi-GPU technology and both AMD and Nvidia are depreciating it beyond two card solutions.  A GTX 1060 would meet your budgetary requirement and is plenty powerful.  An RX 480 would also work and be slightly less expensive with a slight performance hit.  If you can wait for AMD's Vega line of GPU's, that would be best as they are competitive with Nvidia's GTX 10 series and should be out soon.

3939.png

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

GTX 1060 does not support SLI.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

I back the RX 480 idea. AMD even recommends using two. I'd get the 8GB variant if you plan to get a 2nd one later though. Sapphire currently makes the best version of the card. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:06 PM

GTX 1060 does not support SLI.

I think one 1060 is way more powerful than he's got, anything more would be a cpu bottleneck IMO.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 blarg2

blarg2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

Thanks I think I'll wait for the new cards, and before I got a second card I would make sure to upgrade Mobo RAM and CPU.

#7 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

If i were in your situation I would get a 'holdover' GPU like a used 4GB GTX 960 or R9 280x. Something that will not be super bottlenecked by your AMD 955 and you can also use it for a bit with a new rig. Have to be careful getting used cards though but there are plenty of 1060-1070-1080 adopters that are sellng these type cards. If you're looking to build a new rig you can start a thread about it (if you have the budget), or add an addendum to this thread and there are some nice people here that will help you with that. In your specific situation a lot hinges on how long you plan on keeping your current processor/setup, and what resolutions and games you will be playing along with the in-game-quality/FPS you desire. Another thing to keep in mind, if you're mainboard happens to support an FX 8320/8350 you can also do that supplemental upgrade as those processors are very cheap right now with the newer Intel Kaby Lake, and AMD Zen on the way soon. If you happen to have a good motherboard with good power regulation (6.2 or 8.2 power phasing and nice mosfet heatsinks), you can also OC something like an FX 8320 to 4.5 GHZ and with a GTX 960/R9 280x you're in business :)

#8 nathanwellsonline

nathanwellsonline

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

If i were in your situation I would get a 'holdover' GPU like a used 4GB GTX 960 or R9 280x. Something that will not be super bottlenecked by your AMD 955 and you can also use it for a bit with a new rig. Have to be careful getting used cards though but there are plenty of 1060-1070-1080 adopters that are sellng these type cards. If you're looking to build a new rig you can start a thread about it (if you have the budget), or add an addendum to this thread and there are some nice people here that will help you with that. In your specific situation a lot hinges on how long you plan on keeping your current processor/setup, and what resolutions and games you will be playing along with the in-game-quality/FPS you desire. Another thing to keep in mind, if you're mainboard happens to support an FX 8320/8350 you can also do that supplemental upgrade as those processors are very cheap right now with the newer Intel Kaby Lake, and AMD Zen on the way soon. If you happen to have a good motherboard with good power regulation (6.2 or 8.2 power phasing and nice mosfet heatsinks), you can also OC something like an FX 8320 to 4.5 GHZ and with a GTX 960/R9 280x you're in business :)

I agree that the 4GB 960 would be a good hold over card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users