Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Choice Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JasonTL

JasonTL

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

Hi guys,

I've posted before, but nobody answered, so I'll try and phrase it differently. I'm a bit of a novice to computer building and need a new motherboard. Basically, what I need to know is ...

Will this motherboard ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...82E16813131542R

Work with this video card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814133154

I already have the video card, so I just need to find an affordable motherboard. I also have an Intel Celeron 2.7GHz processor and two sticks of 333MHz 500mb RAM (so 1GB effectively). Would prefer that the motherboard be capable of using those for now, instead of having to replace them.

Thanks so much for any help.

Edited by JasonTL, 27 August 2006 - 06:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:29 PM

Yes, the video card will work, but the processor and RAM won't.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 JasonTL

JasonTL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:31 PM

Thanks, Mr. Alpha.

Is it possible to get a motherboard with the PCI Express 16x slot, that still allows for the processor and RAM? Or are they just too old now?

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

That is a pretty tall order, but when I want both museum and the latest hardware in the same machine I turn to ASRock, which is famous for interesting solutions to such problems. And they come through once again: P4Twins-HDTV

Finding one is another matter altogether.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 27 August 2006 - 06:52 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users