Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Pro 64bit Network stops every 5 minutes for a few seconds, then starts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cadprofessor

cadprofessor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:49 PM

Greetings,

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64bit on an Intel  I7 with 16GB Ram.  120GB SSD Boot drive and one TB hard drive.   The system has been running without issues for about 3 years.  Until 2 months ago.  I play one network game and I noticed that every 5 minutes or so I would lose the connection to the game.  After 2 or 3 seconds I would be able to join again.  Sometimes I can play longer sometimes less.  About two weeks ago the I started noticing the issue in the web browser.  I found the same pausing issues in IE, Chrome and Firefox.  Pages would not load for a few seconds and I would also get DNS page errors in Chrome.  

My NIC is an inbedded BroadCom Netlink 1GB.  I have installed the newest drivers from Broadcom.  That did not solve the problem.  I bought a new NIC and installed it along with drivers and the same issues exist.  I have Malwarebytes Pro which I have run several times, without finding any problems.  I changed my anit-virus software from Avast to AVG.  Again found no problems.  I have flushed the dns and cleared winsock setting.  I have tried using dynamic and static local IP.  I have tried other DNS IP other than the two provided by my ISP.  I have restarted my router many times  My router is an Asus RT-56U with factory firmware.  I re-ran my cabling to bypass the 1GB switch.  My PC is plugged into the router.  I can copy files to the server without issue.   I really do not know what else to try and I am hoping someone can give me something to try.  Thank you for any assistance.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

When you said you cleared Winsock do you mean using the netsh winsock reset  command? Did you also reset the TCP/IP stack?

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

#3 blarg2

blarg2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:30 PM

You said you have no problems when moving files from the server, have you moved a file large enough that it last more then 10 minutes? I would be curious to see if it would still have a network problem on a larger file. 

Just to make sure it's not some funky router setting, you could also flash your router with the latest firmware. 

#4 cadprofessor

cadprofessor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:27 PM

Here are the commands I have run.

ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int reset all
netsh int ipv4 reset
netsh int ipv6 reset
netsh winsock reset

Just ran the command you listed above.   netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Router has the latest firmware from Asus.  Router was installed new in June of this year.  On my HTPC (not the same PC) I can stream two hour movies from Amazon Prime without any buffering or losing the connection to prime.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

I doubt it is checked but if you right click the LAN adapter in Device Manager, select properties, and look under the Power Management tab is Allow this Computer to Turn Off This Device to Save Power checked?

Have you run a sfc /scannow to check for missing or corrupt system files?

The only other thing I can think of to rule out some hardware issue is to boot a live linux distro to see if you lose the connection. If not then something deep in Windows is causing the issue.

#6 cadprofessor

cadprofessor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

Yes I have turned off the power management setting.  Have run sfc many times,sfc reports no issues.  I have not tried booting to a Linux like Knopx.  Great idea.  I will try that tomorrow and let you know..  I have tried two different NIC's both doing the same thing.  Tried by-passing switch running cable straight into router.  Ran chkdsk on both hard drive part.  Tried using msconfig to do a clean boot. Problem with that is networking is turned off.

Edited by cadprofessor, 13 December 2016 - 08:55 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:59 PM

I usually recommend Fatdog64 for this type of test but Knoppix is fine too.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

What happens when you boot Safe Mode with Networking?

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 December 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#8 cadprofessor

cadprofessor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:54 PM

Update: Download Knopix DVD 4.3 GB. Took it about 45 minutes to download using chrome. No disconnects. So I thought I would try uploading the same file using WinSCP FTP to a work server. The upload stopped after about 12 minutes. Started the computer in safe mode and ran the same upload using WinSCP. This time the upload ran for 42 minutes before giving a connection error. I hit the retry button and the software connected back to the server and continued the upload. Will try booting into Linux tonight or tomorrow and see what happens.

Attached Files

Edited by cadprofessor, 15 December 2016 - 03:57 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:01 PM

I'm not sure it would help but there is a Network Repair module in Windows Repair. If that does not work then I think you may want to start a thread in the Networking forum. 

At least you know that it's not a hardware issue if Knoppix did not disconnect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users