Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Troubleshooting Boot Failure/ No Display

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jiblition

jiblition

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

Hello, I am hoping someone can offer me some help. I have a custom built PC I assembled about a year and a half ago that has worked fine until this past week. No issues at all. While playing two different games, the monitor randomly froze up on me and just showed gray vertical bars. On both occasions it happened about 5 minutes into gameplay. I rebooted, everything seemed fine...

Fast forward a few days then it happened out of game at desktop while I was opening Chrome. On reboot I tried to get into BIOS and run a hardware scan and couldn't get that far. PC was freezing and then on reboot and since then, the monitor just goes black and I can't get any display. I can't get into safemode or BIOS or anything.

Everything as far as hardware seems to be booting, fans, monitor is on, etc. I unplugged everything USB wise and tried boot, I tried resetting the CMOS battery and bought a new one as well for $3 to no avail. All connections seem to be fine and everything is secured.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I'm hoping its a boot error or some sort as I can't replace the mobo at the moment...but just knowing as of now would be nice as it seems odd for the mobo to die after a year.

Any help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:08 AM

Some more Info req / for anyone to assist you further.

Mobo Model = 

Operating System = 

GPU or Onboard Video ?

Try Connecting an External Monitor / Check all Power Leads / Try Onboard Graphics if Available / Try a Spare PSU.

#3 jiblition

jiblition
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:36 AM

Sorry for the late response. 

I've tried testing the external monitor, checking all the leads as suggested, and i just removed the gfx and tried onboard gfx with still, no display and no bios/beep codes.

I don't have a spare PSU to try; any other suggestions or ideas? 

#4 mobijones

mobijones

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:56 AM

could you give us ur own build ? can help a lot 

So u got a black screen when booting right can u move the mouse's cursor ? or not did u try to boot in safe mode ?

#5 jiblition

jiblition
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:15 AM

mobo: h97 gigabyte gaming 3

i5 4460k i think? cant' remember which to be honest

radeon r9 270x gfx

psu rosewill hive 650s

windows 10

I got a 'gray' screen on back to back days of gaming, randomly, rebooted, fixed itself. Then i got it at desktop. I tried to get into safe mode to run a diagnostic and second I did it froze again with gray screen. Since then, I can't boot to anything but a black screen. 

Do I need to re-enable onboard gfx? I tried removing the gfx and it booted fine, but I was told i might have to re-enable the onboard; how can I do that without a display?

Edited by jiblition, 24 December 2016 - 02:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users