Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloader?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stimp11

Stimp11

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:22 PM

Whenever I turn on my computer I get at least 4 pop ups from my Norton Internet Security that I have a Virus called Downloader. It cleans the file, deletes the virus but it always returns when I restart.
Please help eliminate it forever. I am running the latest cersion of Norton. I do not have Spybot anymore because it said they were incompatabel wehnI installed Norton.

FYI-I do not have Sevrice pack 2 installed b/c it won't download...I tried the helpdesk for Windows and, after multiple attempts to help, they sent me a disk and still wouldn't work...

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:34 AM

Hello Stimp11

Have your tried performing a scan with NAV in SAFE MODE".

Also, if your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with Ewido Anti-Spyware v4.0 in "SAFE MODE".
Print out the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

Spybot S&D 1.4 is compatible with Norton. Setup & Configure as shown here.
[DO NOT choose the option to install TeaTimer]

You should also download and scan with Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06. Setup & Configure as shown here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Stimp11

Stimp11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:44 AM

Thank you!!! The Edwido found 120 items (mostly adware) including the Downloader that Norton couldn't find even in safe mode.!!!
So far, everything looks great!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:05 PM

Your welcome.

Now that your system is clean you should SET A NEW RESTORE POINT to prevent reinfection from an old restore point. Any malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to set a new RESTORE POINT:
1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
2. Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
3. Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
4. Click "OK".
5. Click the "More Options" Tab.
6. Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Then to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, read: "Malware Prevention - Preventing Re-infection" and "How to Prevent Spyware".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users