Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access or alter the Program Files folder or any of its sub folders.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mike921

mike921

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

Can't access or alter the Program Files folder or any of its sub folders.
In Explorer I can open the Program Files folder but I get a < Location is not available "C:\Program Files\"Folder Name" is not accessible - access is denied >  message when I try to open any sub folders. When I check the file size of the folders in Program Files 0 bytes is listed.

No programs that are located in the Program Files folder will work, their shortcut icon is blank and I get a < Problem with Shortcut - The item "program".exe that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly > message when I click on a shortcut icon. I can't even install any new programs to the folder.

I'm not able to change permission settings to Program Files folder and any sub folders under Administrator and any User accounts - when I try to change permissions to the folder I get a <Error Applying Security - An error occurred while applying security information to C:\Program Files\"Subfolder" - Access Is Denied > message.

I have no success in safe-mode. I've tried using Unlocker program and I still get a < No Locking Handle found > message.
CHKDSK turned up no errors, I've run Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, Windows Safety Scanner and nothing has come up, but I'm not even sure that those programs are able to look in the Program Files folder.

Can anyone please help? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

If you create a new user admin account do you have the same problem? The programs you listed do access the Programs folder if you do a full scan. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users