Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen, white arrow on Boot. Can get to safe mode.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tudordoc

Tudordoc

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

I am stuck

I have Lenovo X230 which I use in a dock at times.  I have a 2nd screen attached by USB to the dock.  I have a SSD.

I cannot boot into WIndows 7.  I am stuck with black screen and white arrow.  The HDD light is flashing a bit.  I have left it for 30 mins and no progress.  I can boot into Safe Mode and shut down but it goes back to getting stuck    This has happened in the past and usual boots after I wait about 20 mins.  Not this time

I do not seem to have any restore points.  I do have a backup on Acronis

I wondered if it was the displaylink program that is for the 2nd screen. I have uninstalled Displaylink.  No change

Any ideas?

TD

Edited by Tudordoc, 13 December 2016 - 01:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tudordoc

Tudordoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:25 PM

IN reply to my own post, I have worked out the problem.  Maybe this will help someone else

I went to safeboot/run/msconfig and disabled all startup items.  No change

I then also disabled all startup services - normal startup

I then re-enabled all windows services and then each service one by one, restarting after every change till I found the one that stopped the normal boot.  Unfortunately it was the Wtu System Support that being a W was the last but one.

Wtu System Support is something from AVG, even though I have uninstalled AVG

I now need to reinstall a virus scanner!

I hope that this helps someone

TudorDoc

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

I don't think you need to reinstall AVG. In Safe Mode right click computer > Manage > Services. Is the Wtu Service listed? Double click the Service and select Disable.

If you cannot see the service in Services download and run AutoRuns and search for the service. Uncheck the box next to the service. If the computer boots normally then you can go back and delete the service by highlighting it and clicking the red X. There may be other AVG listing present if you do a search for AVG with a File not Found listing. Those can be deleted but do not delete any other entries other than AVG that show File not Found.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

#4 Tudordoc

Tudordoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

Well I did reinstall AVG as I need a virus checker, and I was curious to see if it would be re-enabled.  So having reinstalled AVG, wtu system support remains disabled

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

Wtu is a service tied to AVG's Web TuneUp. I don't know if you can custom install AVG to not include the TuneUp module but from what I have read it can lead to a lot of issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users