Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search bar not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vertigoo

Vertigoo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

Here i copy a thread i posted on another forum they couldn't give me an answer:

I have disabled Cortana in my windows 10 home edition by the registry because i couldn't stand the web results, i wanted it to function just as windows search for files on my machine.
my build number is: 14393.479
and the version is 1607

the problem is after disabling cortana the text in the textbox on the toolbar turns 'Search Windows' but doesn't function (even with cortana enabled, the problem was occuring).

the search bar seems to find some simple programs like cmd, but if i type a file name it will not find it.

it seems so annoying since it's a simple feature that should be provided out of the box, like it worked on windows 7. 
Things i have tried:

• A lot of reading on google, all Microsoft customer support were unhelpful and had no strict answer.
  • Rebuilding indexing options several times.
  • Making sure the search service was set to automatic on services.msc

Edited by Vertigoo, 13 December 2016 - 12:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blarg2

blarg2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

Have you done a system file scan? 

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:41 PM

With latest version of the Windows 10 you can turn of web search feature of Cortana from its settings.

Posted Image

#4 Vertigoo

Vertigoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

Have you done a system file scan? 

yes I have done, and didn't find any corrupted or missing files in the system.

With latest version of the Windows 10 you can turn of web search feature of Cortana from its settings.

actually in the home edition of windows it doesn't exist. 

they have changed it since the anniversary update, and yes i did get a lot of headaches figuring out why I don't have that option for me (until i found how to disable it with the registry).

but that is not the problem, since even with Cortana enabled the search will not work.

#5 Vertigoo

Vertigoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:15 PM

After contacting microsoft live support, I had a remote control session with a friendly agent which showed me this solution:

after searching for a file, it shows the best match, if you haven't opened it before it won't show there.

You have to click on more, then find the file by it's category(folder, document) or just hit ALL to look at all the matches.

after opening it one time, it will learn automatically to offer that as one of the best options and quickly access that file. 

The solution was so simple and I could've swear i have seen this solution online, but the More button was missing so i forgot about it.

This feature is not very clear, and should be clarified by windows since it has been a change to me switching from windows 7 search bar to this one.

I added a pictures for anyone experiencing this problem:

Attached File  Untitled.png   71.83KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Untitled1.png   82.32KB   0 downloads

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:07 PM

Hi Vertigoo,

We are glad to hear your problem has been resolved and thank you for informing us how your problem was resolved!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users