Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logitech K520 stops working when unifying receiver is removed and placed back in

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jax765

Jax765

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

I have the Logitech Mk520 Mouse and keyboard, with unifying receiver installed on my system. Today, I suddenly started having a weird issue where if I remove the receiver then place it back in, the keyboard stops working. However, the function keys (e.g. volume control, calculator key, etc) still work. This persists until I restart the system. This doesn't occur when in safe mode (removing and re-inserting the receiver simply results in the keyboard turning off and on). In addition, the mouse and keyboard turn back on faster in safe mode when the receiver is placed back in compared to non-safe mode. I've tried uninstalling the Logitech Unifying Receiver USB Composite Device driver from devices and printers, but after reinstalling the drivers, the problem persists. I also used Logitech's unifying software to unpair and re-pair the keyboard, same result (only function keys working, rest of the keyboard doesn't).

So is there a way to cleanly reinstall my mouse and keyboard drivers, and solve this issue?

My OS is Windows 7.

Edited by Jax765, 13 December 2016 - 11:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blarg2

blarg2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

Hey Jax,

Yes, there is a way to remove drivers.

First will you go to device manager, and open the mice and keyboard drop down menus. Take a screen shot and post it on here. Odds are they are the regular old Microsoft drivers, but we just want to double check. 

#3 Jax765

Jax765
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

482752b7eb.png

#4 blarg2

blarg2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

Awesome so if you double click on either one and go to the Driver tab you can see what drivers they are using. Normally it will be a Microsoft signed driver. 

Check those out and you can try to update them. 

Also my Logitech G19 shows up as three keyboards and all of them have Microsoft signed drivers. So do you have any programs installed by Logitech like I do?

#5 blarg2

blarg2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:13 PM

I have to run off to work, but I will check this post if I get a chance. 

#6 Jax765

Jax765
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:24 PM

I don't have any Logitech software installed. I briefly installed the unifying software, but that was just to troubleshoot this issue, before uninstalling it.

Both the mouse and keyboard have drivers signed by Microsoft, dated back to 2006. According to device manager, both drivers are up to date after searching automatically.

#7 blarg2

blarg2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:40 PM

To be honest Jax, I am not all to sure, what more you can do. I checked and 2006 signed by Microsoft is standard. It honestly might not be a driver problem. It may be a conflicting program problem. I will think more about it and if I can I will post something else. 

Another thought is where do you plug in the receiver? Have you tried different slots, also next time your in windows and you get a problem open device manager, go to your keyboard and see if it has an exclamation on it. Or hit the check for changes button which is below and to the right of the help button. 

#8 Jax765

Jax765
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

I tried plugging the receiver into various USB slots. The keyboard device didn't have an exclamation mark in device manager when only the function keys were working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users