Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Is Bleeping

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 teagueyfiend

teagueyfiend

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

when i startup my computer on the windows xp screen the computer starts to bleep (dun duh dun duh). And then it does it randomly while the computer is running e.g. when i tried burning a CD.

i recently installed a new hard drive, that sometimes cuts out and the computer turns off then reboots and the hard drive is not recognised. but if i leave the pc off for about 30 mins it starts up fine again. but today it has started to bleep.

any help will be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer teagueyfiend Posted Image
Heavy demands of burning a CD could result in overheating,the sound may be like an alarm.
This is a great tutorial called Cleaning the Interior of your PC.
You may want to look at Everest Home Edition as it is a great system diagnostic tool(and it's free too!).
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

A couple of sites, that might help you out with the Beep Codes:
computerhope.com
sysopt.com
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

i would also double check all your cables and connections are ok, especially hard drive and motherboard cables and power connectors, replace any cables that look suspect, also, is the new drive you fitted an additional drive, if so, check your power supply is up to the job, if you have another lying around try changing it and see if there is any difference.

good luck

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

I would not keep using the computer until you determined why the computer is shutting down spontaneously and making warning beep codes.

What bios do you have and what exactly is the pattern of the beeps?

From what you stated it sounds like the processor is overheating. If it is, it will become fatally damaged because of overheating if it is not already - possibly the motherboard as well.

#6 teagueyfiend

teagueyfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:01 AM

i turned it on today and it did not make the bleeping noise

Edited by teagueyfiend, 28 August 2006 - 05:57 AM.

#7 teagueyfiend

teagueyfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:05 AM

My BIOS is Award (09/17/02)

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:20 AM

Award BIOS beep codes
Award uses the least of any of the BIOS manufactures just two codes, they prefer to display a message on the screen state the error. The only time you will get any beeps is if the video cards fails or a RAM problem.
Beep Code Description
1 Long, 2 Short A video error has occurred and the Bios cannot initialise the video screen to display any additional information.

Any other beep(s) RAM Problem.

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

Could we have some system spec's on this computer and the make, model and type of hard drive ex. ata, sata, scsi etc.

With the system not recognizing the hard drive occasionally this worries me and this could be the cause of your problems although I will not rule out a heat problem especially if the hard drive is running hot

Please run this and post back the results

SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

#10 teagueyfiend

teagueyfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:19 PM

temp1: 46c
temp2: 40c
temp3: -48c