Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Windows Old folder?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

Tried Disk Cleanup and standard Delete procedure, but niether way allows me to delete? Some folders inside the Windows Old folder can be deleted, but not all?

Any advice please? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:07 AM

Have you already tried a Puppy Linux usb or dvd boot -- and using its file manager on the pesky Windows.Old folder and contents?

Edited by RolandJS, 13 December 2016 - 11:24 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

Tried Disk Cleanup and standard Delete procedure, but niether way allows me to delete? Some folders inside the Windows Old folder can be deleted, but not all?

Any advice please? 

Al of them can be deleted. None of those files are necessary for anything. I have never had any problem deleting the entire folder. How big is it. I have seen them up 110 gb and have deleted them quickly.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

open command prompt as admin.  run cleanmgr /sageset:1  Check all the boxes.  Click OK.  Then in same command window run cleanmgr /sagerun:1

#5 tonakis2108

tonakis2108

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:37 AM

Did you try changing permission?

IOBit-Unlocker could help make your life a little easier here's the link too https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/iobit-unlocker/

Edited by tonakis2108, 14 December 2016 - 12:52 AM.

#6 monasen

monasen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:17 AM

1. Type “Free up disk ” into the Windows search box and click on FREE UP DISK SPACE BY DELETING UNNECESSARY FILES. 

2016-01-20-15-40-14-Screenshot.png

2. Change the drive to “C” if not already selected and Click on OK.

6. Click delete files.

2016-01-20-19-34-33-Disk-Cleanup.png

7. Click Yes when prompted to confirm your decision.

2016-01-20-19-36-01-Disk-Cleanup.png

It will take a couple of mins to delete all the selected files. Thats it. Your Windows.old folder in Windows 10 is now deleted.

2016-01-20-15-41-57-Screenshot.png

3. Click Clean up system files.

2016-01-20-15-54-35-Screenshot.png

4. Click OK again when the drive letter is displayed. The Disk Cleanup window will appear again.

2016-01-20-15-41-57-Screenshot.png

5. Check “Previews Windows installation(s)” in the Files to delete box and Click OK.

2016-01-20-19-32-23-Disk-Cleanup-for-C-.

#7 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:09 AM

Any advice please? 

If Your Windows is OK, there is never no problems. You can use Windows Disk Cleanup (select drive and it will run, if finished, do not delete nothing, but select "Clean up system files" and run again, if finished, select what to delete.) It uses Windows default delete method. (Nr 5.  in previous post - Check “Previews Windows installation(s)” ....).
Much better is to use CCleaner (You can also wipe Windows.old, but takes a while)-
How. Simply, if CCleaner runs, go to "Advanced" and check "Old Windows Installation" and run CCleaner. If this choise isn't available, restart CCleaner, and it will be available.
6LVYYwZ.jpg   t7bwsH2.jpg

Note: If You cannot delete some of these files, usually it happens during deleting Windows Apps (old) folder. This is the first sign, that new Windows isn't installed correctly. Usually is not correct users permissions and then is already other things what is needed to do.

Edited by kaljukass, 14 December 2016 - 05:14 AM.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:22 AM

"...If You cannot delete some of these files, usually it happens during deleting Windows Apps (old) folder. This is the first sign, that new Windows isn't installed correctly. Usually is not correct users permissions and then is already other things what is needed to do..." -- kaljukass

Kal, I'm wondering if permissions adjustment/UAC-adjustment utilities [i.e. VBS, BAT, EXE] were applied earlier to this computer, could that affect Windows in un-intended ways?  Reason for asking:  long ago, I also tried such tools to fix permissions, and if memory serves me, it took a few Restarts for Windows to reclaim its default permission settings -- and I had to fix my problem another way.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 December 2016 - 07:24 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:23 AM

Thanks to everyone, will try ccleaner?

#10 tonakis2108

tonakis2108

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:35 AM

Thanks to everyone, will try ccleaner?

I used ccleaner to get rid of mine.

#11 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:32 AM

Are all managed and everything went well?

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:34 AM

Please boot your computer into Safe Mode and you can manually or use Disk Cleanup tool to delete the windows.old folder.

Posted Image

#13 tonakis2108

tonakis2108

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:12 AM

Are all managed and everything went well?

I had no issues whatsoever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users