Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Question Regarding WDS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 j_bins

j_bins

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:23 AM

HI,

I live in Rural Ireland and my internet is Wimax (max DL speed 15mbps...... :( )  The whole house gets very poor connection speeds (0.9mbps) at peak times. This is with either ethernet or Wi-fi connection.

The latest advice the Provider is offering is to change these settings in the router:

1. Enable WDS Bridging"
  2. "Survey"
  3. View nearby networks and take note of channels......there are no other networks listed as we have no immediate neigbours
  4. "Slelect a different Channel" preferably 3 channels away from your own
  5. Click the “Region” field and select “Ireland” from the drop down menu and reboot router.
Am I right in thinking that changing channels is only ever going to affect internet speeds when using Wi-fi and not Ethernet?

Edited by j_bins, 13 December 2016 - 06:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:32 AM

Yes. And everything mentioned here has to do with wireless connectivity.

Either someone or something in your house hogs up the bandwidth or your provider fails to provide you with the 15Mbps. At a peak time, try to disconnect everything (both wired and wireless) except one comptuer, and test the speed.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

Have you considered...looked into...satellite internet?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:42 AM

Thanks so much for confirming that Xoctane, its exactly what i wanted to know . I did tests with sperate devices singularly and get the same low results. I believe that the Service Provider is just not providing enough bandwith.

Buddy215, i will check that out. I had not realised that might be an option. Thanks.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:10 AM

This might be a good place to start....Compare Satellite Broadband - Satellite Broadband in Ireland - Switcher.ie

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:33 PM

Just keep in mind that satellite broadband many times will have monthly download data caps that are frequently pretty small.  So, if you need/want to download a lot of content, you might have some issues.

#7 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:11 AM

not to mention that satellite broadband has very high ping times.
so if you have kids who play online games it is not the way to go ;)

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users