Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

updating to windows 10

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:19 AM

Hello,

I have this laptop (Lenovo B570e) that had windows 7 Ultimate 32bit Installed on it. I installed windows 10 Pro 64 bit using custom settings. The problem is that the product key is not genuine, there is no product key sticker. I believe there was an issue with hard drive, which was replaced and non genuine win 7 was installed. Is there a way to retrieve the original key.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:22 AM

If the key you used was from a sticker attached to the computer in question then it is an OEM:COA key and CAN NOT be activated online against MS servers. Attempting to do so will generate an invalid key error. OEM:COA keys require OFFLINE activation requiring phoning MS's automated toll free number in order to complete the activation process. It will give you a code based upon your OEM key and the hash that Windows calculates based upon your computer's hardware. You complete the activation process by entering that code into the Windows activation dialogues. You cannot use OEM:COA key to activate Windows 10.

Posted Image

#3 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

He just said there was no sticker so that won't work. The easiest way to retrieve the old key is to run ProduKey and retrieve the key, but that's only if the old OS is still installed which isn't clear if it is based on your post. If that's not the case then I would install Windows 7 ultimate again and then you should be able to retrieve your key, of course assuming it's an OEM key which I'm guessing it is since it's a laptop.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,808 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:35 PM

After upgrading to Windows 10 a Window.old folder is created.  If the folder isn't damaged you should be able to find your Windows 7 product code there.  There is a good tutorial for this using ShowKeyPlus to retrieve the product code for this folder, you can find it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:52 PM

just to clear things up, I don't have a sticker for the product key. I believe the laptop comes preinstalled with win7 Home Premium edition according to Lenovo website. So the question if the hard drive was replaced with new one is there way to get win7 OEM key. Currently the laptop is on win10 Pro but not activated

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

If the computer had a hard drive replacement with Ultimate installed and the original OS was Home then there is no way to retrieve the OEM key. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 you could reinstall and activate as the key is embedded in firmware but that is not the case with Windows 7 OEM installs.

You can try and contact Lenovo for a set of recovery disks. You would not be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free as that offer has expired.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht035659

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,808 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:19 AM

The original product code was specific to the version that was originally installed.  You cannot install Windows Ultimate over Home and expect the product code to work, it will not and you will not be able to activate Ultimate unless you purchase a separate product code.  Windows 10 is the same, you will need a legal product code to activate the installation.

I believe there was an issue with hard drive, which was replaced and non genuine win 7 was installed.

Was this a repair shop that replaced the hdd and installed Windows 7 Ultimate?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:51 AM

The original product code was specific to the version that was originally installed.  You cannot install Windows Ultimate over Home and expect the product code to work, it will not and you will not be able to activate Ultimate unless you purchase a separate product code.  Windows 10 is the same, you will need a legal product code to activate the installation.

I believe there was an issue with hard drive, which was replaced and non genuine win 7 was installed.

Was this a repair shop that replaced the hdd and installed Windows 7 Ultimate?

Yes

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,808 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:58 AM

@fadi-sheikh

You need to take this computer back to the shop where this work was done.  What they left you with is a computer which you are not going to be able to get activated.  You paid for what you wanted done and paid for the work on good faith.

#10 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:43 PM

I restored the laptop to win 7. No luck with win 10

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:32 AM

How did you do that without a product code?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,808 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

How did you do that without a product code?

They can use Windows.Old to reinstall Windows 7 which originally was installed.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

Thanks.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users