Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having an issue updating Windows 10...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PookandPie

PookandPie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:40 AM

I'm stuck on build 10240 and wish to install the anniversary update but I keep getting an error about a failure during the rollback operation. from what I've been able to research, there's some issue with Windows 10 and gpt drives (I have two 3TBs). Many users claimed they were able to install the updates fine once they disconnected their second hard drive.

I can't seem to boot my computer if I disconnect my second drive, for some reason. Windows is installed on a disk labeled 2, while my games, media, etc., is installed on a drive labeled 1 (I didn't realize they were labeled backwards when I installed them). When I disconnect drive 1, drive 2 won't boot even though windows 10 is installed on it. Drive 1 does not have a Windows installation, so it doesn't boot if the other drive is not connected, either.

I was messing around in a Macrium program tonight and I noticed that disk 1, the gpt disk without windows installed, had a drive letter on the little 100MB partition I made for the boot record, while disk 2 does not have a drive letter on its 100MB partition. Does this mean that the computer boots off of disk 1 before loading into Windows on disk 2? If this is the case, how can I fix this?

Can I possibly clone disk 1's 100MB over the one on disk 2?

I'm really lost when it comes to GPT, as well, so any help will really be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:47 AM

Is there a error message about why update cannot be installed have a look at Event Viewer console.

Posted Image

#3 PookandPie

PookandPie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:09 AM

I believe it is:

0x80073BC3 - 0x20009
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_ROLLBACK operation

I couldn't find it in event viewer, but I searched for it multiple times tonight and was able to locate it in my history. I still have no clue what it means in relation to the update, just that some people solved their problem by disconnecting other drives.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:18 AM

I would suggest you to disable all the antivirus and firewall from the computer and see if that helps.

Try to install all the latest Windows update and drivers and also disconnect all the external devices and check if it works.

Check the Windows file system and hard disk drive for errors. Hold down the BxVxp04.png + X keys and select the option “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

rS4b5c0.jpg

Execute below command

Sfc /Scannow

After above command finnish execute below command to schedule a C: partition error checking.

Chkdsk C: /r

Posted Image

#5 PookandPie

PookandPie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

Hi there,

Sorry it took me so long. Check Disk was running for a long time yesterday and it was running most of today while I was at work. Do you need to see the specifics of the log from Event Viewer? It says this under stage 5: 

"Looking for bad, free clusters ... 250704181 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. No further action is required."

Also, nothing else seemed to work. I turned Avast off (should I straight up uninstall it?) and unplugged everything except mouse and keyboard, ran the update again, and I still rebooted into 10240.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:44 AM

Looks like there was NTFS file system errors which was corrected. You should uninstall all third party antivirus and firewall programs. Disconnect all externally attached devices except for mouse and keyboard. You can also use Windows 10 Media Creation tool to upgrade to latest version of Windows 10.

Posted Image

#7 PookandPie

PookandPie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

Hello,

I uninstalled my antivirus, firewall, and disconnected everything but mouse and keyboard. My computer shut down, said it was installing updates, hanged at 30% for a while, then booted into Windows.

Upon booting, it's still running 10240. Is there a difference between using the media creation tool versus letting Windows try the update itself? I don't know what else to do.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

The cache of downloaded setup files could be corrupted the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool offers latest version of the Windows 10 there is no difference accept for you don't use Windows Update to install latest version of the Windows 10.

Posted Image

#9 PookandPie

PookandPie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:52 AM

Oh, okay. So if the windows setup files are corrupted, how would I go about fixing that issue?

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:09 PM

Use Windows Disk Clean-up tool to delete Windows updates.

Posted Image

#11 PookandPie

PookandPie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:21 PM

Hmm. I tried this two more times (running Disk Cleanup, deleting Windows update files, unplugging all non-mouse/keyboard USB devices, and uninstalling Avast), and to no avail.

Should I just give up and reinstall Windows 10?

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:27 AM

You can try repair install of Windows 10 if you have same version of windows 10 install on your computer than after repair install completed see you can update to latest version of Windows 10.

Posted Image

#13 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:32 AM

If he is going to do a repair install, he may as well use the latest version of Windows 10. An in place upgrade is going to run him through the exact same process. Save him some time.

Unless he wants a fresh install. Windows does seem to run better that way. However migration is a bear now that easy transfer tool is gone.

Edited by Nightspear, 29 December 2016 - 12:33 AM.

#14 PookandPie

PookandPie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:39 AM

If he is going to do a repair install, he may as well use the latest version of Windows 10. An in place upgrade is going to run him through the exact same process. Save him some time.

Unless he wants a fresh install. Windows does seem to run better that way. However migration is a bear now that easy transfer tool is gone.

I'm sorry- what do you mean by this? Use the latest version of Windows 10 to do a repair- how exactly do I do that?

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:36 AM

Download a copy of Windows 10 and put it onto a DVD or a USB. Then insert the media and use that media as a tool to fix your current installation. There are many options in the ISO including REPAIR THIS PC. You should be to use that as your tool to update your computer.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users