Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using viruses to cure bacterial infections

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:25 AM

I just watched video about bacteriophages and how to they can treat bacterial infections after all bacteria are becoming more resistant to antibiotics and eventually antibiotics wont be affective anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwEVK7TMWI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:56 AM

Bacteriophages have been in use for 100 years or more. Because they occur naturally in the sea and river water, several rivers have gained the reputation of healing. They would have been used more often if it hadn't been so easy to produce antibiotics from fungus and moulds. I expect that a lot of work will start now, because of the growing bacterial resistance of pathogens. 

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

I expect that a lot of work will start now, because of the growing bacterial resistance of pathogens. 

Lets hope so georgehenry. :)

#4 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:51 AM

Because bacteriophages are little bundles of DNA and RNA that get transferred between bacteria, they can also transfer a resistance to antibiotics. the trick will be to get the right sort of DNA and RNA to transfer the messages that we want to send. Good luck to the scientists! I wouldn't know where to start.

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

Now if you want to read something really scary, try Robin Cook's Nano".

Not doing an advertisement, get it out of the Library, like Elaine did, and I am reading it now.

Very thought provoking.

Cheers all

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users