Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus g74s not turning on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Highwalker

Highwalker

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

Hi there,

I have an asus g74s laptop, a few years old, running windows 7.

The day before last it would start to boot up but turn itself off before the log in screen. I turned it on again and booted in safe mode and the laptop turned on fine.

In safe mode, i fiddled with the power settings and set the cooling fan to high but this melted the tip of the charging cord. I pulled the cord out and the laptop hasnt turned back on since.

Note: i run the laptop straight from the charger as the battery is broken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:54 AM

Time for a new charger maybe.

#3 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:10 AM

In safe mode, i fiddled with the power settings and set the cooling fan to high but this melted the tip of the charging cord.

Jesus.

#4 Highwalker

Highwalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

So Ill probably buy another charger but, before doing that, is there anyway to figure out if it is a fualt with the charger, charger port, motherboard or something else?

Am open to other solutions though. And any ideas about what might have caused the meltdown and is stopping the laptop from powering on.

#5 Highwalker

Highwalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:37 AM

In safe mode, i fiddled with the power settings and set the cooling fan to high but this melted the tip of the charging cord.

Jesus.

Yeah. I think it was the power needed to power the fan rather than the fan itself.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:50 AM

Dout it a 40MM fan runing at 100% is like 12V is 0.07A = 0.84 watts or the one i just found with a quick serch,changer for your laptop is 19V 7.9A 150W. 

#7 Highwalker

Highwalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:46 PM

Dout it a 40MM fan runing at 100% is like 12V is 0.07A = 0.84 watts or the one i just found with a quick serch,changer for your laptop is 19V 7.9A 150W. 

The charger has almost melted before when I was playing a game (that Ive played lots without a problem) so I thought the problem might come from making the laptop do power demanding things - playing games or running the fan on max.

Given this extra info, do you still think a new charger will fix the problem?

Edited by Highwalker, 13 December 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

Don't know everything is hit or miss, when a laptop just acts like a rock and doesn't do anything theirs not many things you can try to do seeing as theirs not many things you can play with, some things you can try are removing the HDD or some of the ram sticks and leaving it with only one stick,no hdd, still doesn't work change ram sticks.

Besides that i have no idea but if we had a backup power brick that we knew was 100% good it be a quick test to find out if it was that, or a good battery with a charge.

#9 Highwalker

Highwalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:12 PM

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll try to get a new battery over the weekend and post back here.
It's so sad and lifeless when you press the power button and absolutely nothing happens :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users