Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card going bad?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Zaros

Zaros

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:55 AM

So, for the last year or so, my computer has been getting the blue screen of death (with a different error cause every time), and recently the last 2-3 months it's started to become much more consistent. I've read a number of different causes on other tech websites and everything they've suggested I've tried.. And nothing has worked. I've tried a disk check, I've ran a memory/ram test.. says everything is fine. The last step was to either reinstall windows 7 (because I was reading it could be a fault in the OS coding), or completely factory reset the computer. I have an Alienware Aurora ALX, so I went to AlienRespawn which is Dell's software for repairing/resetting and went all the way back to December of 2011 when I first bought the computer and factory resetted it. As soon as it turned back on, I turned off automatic updates for windows, then upgraded to windows 10. I then tried to play a normal game of League of Legends on lowest settings and it still crashed half way through, only this time instead of the blue screen, it just completely froze the screen and sound. I then restarted it, finished out the game, then tried to type this exact paragraph and it froze again, then restarted and tried to type this AGAIN and it froze again so now I'm typing this off my phone. This wasn't the first time its crashed outside of gameplay because I've walked away for hours on a normal webpage, then came back to a blue screen as well. It does tend to happen much more on any graphically intensive activity, but again League of Legends is a very low end game and it's still happening while just typing on a webpage. I have a Nivida GeForce 550TI. If anyone knows a suggestion how to officially check the graphics card, please let me know how with directions because I'm only so computer savvy. If it just sounds like its going bad from my description, please give me a suggestion for a new card. I have to make sure its compatible with my computer since it is going on 5 years old. Thank you very much, and please help fix my headache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:49 AM

Hard one to know whats going on with out having the computer under my noise, could be so many things from the info i have, could just be the PSU.

Who know at this point with out knowing everything tried so far, you say you've done all this stuff from tech websites but not listed what was done, so were all in the dark on this topic.

Not doing a full wipe and clean install of "win7 sp1 only no updates" bugs me with just windows with min drivers, min hardware for testing with default bios settings to start, one stick of ram, and testing ram in software doesn't all way pick up on bad ram.

bugs me too not running/testing something like Linux for a wile to see if that changes anything as well.

If i had the system here with me id use a backup video card for testing and see if that helps, a pci video card for testing costs like $10 used, its a ATI radion x300 with like 64megs ram, in older days i use to use a pci 2 meg video ram card, still have many pci 2meg cards in stock.

Id probably do some burn in testing "more then one pass and try" at stock speed as well and if it bombs all over the place, then do burn in testing at underclocked speeds and see if that changes anything if needed, id all so run the system on min hardware and keep a good eye on temps, you do clean out your case & PSU and theirs no dust in their right ?

everything bin removed, cleaned the right way and reseated ?

you overclocking atm or have in the past ?

Voltage rails are all good under load ?

burn in test app, free to use for 30 days.

https://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

#3 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

So I tried to run Burn In once already and the comp froze about 5 minutes in. The only errors I noticed was the optical disk drive? Idk. I just unplugged everything and ran thebdust sprayers through it. I'm not handy enough to unseat everything and reseat it. I'm going to trying running it again now. 2 questions: How do I review the temperature and is there a software that shows the temps of every piece of hardware? And the other question how do I run the test at stock speed and underclocked speed? Thank you!!

#4 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

Also another thing.. Now half the time I boot the computer up, it won't even get past the log in screen without freezing. Like it's almost impossible to get to my desktop at this point.

#5 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

And to answer your questions, I've never overclocked it, and I don't know what voltage rails are. I'm so lost on this and its extremt frustrating because half the time I cant even get the computer to boot.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

Do you know how to underclock a system ?

#7 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

No, and I have no idea if the computer will run long enough to allow me to do it. I have it on now but only a matter of time.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

How do I review the temperature and is there a software that shows the temps of every piece of hardware?

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

#9 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

Would it help if I ran it through safe mode for the burn in test?

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:46 PM

the settings to underclock are in the bios in any case not windows.

Would it help if I ran it through safe mode for the burn in test?

not relly, last i checked their is no real safe mode in win10

Edited by shadow_647, 13 December 2016 - 03:49 PM.

#11 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:48 PM

It froze before I could even open my browser to get to those links.

#12 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

Dammit. This is impossible. It just freezes before I can do anything. Anything that would make the entire system freeze up that's usually the cause? Cause at his point I'm ready to just buy a new part

#13 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

Restart the computer and Pop in to the bios bro and slow the system down by like 50%, see if that helps, put everything you can in their in safe mode, dissable everything you can you don't need.

Edited by shadow_647, 13 December 2016 - 03:57 PM.

#14 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

I just tried to run the burn in test again.. Right before it blue screened with the error "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal" it said there was 4 optical disk errors and 1 general CPU error.
How do I get into the bios? And how do I slow it down from there? Tried that already, wasn't finding it lol

#15 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

k sec let me do some research on the topic but from what you just said theirs something very wrong going on with your box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users