Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragmented, but can't shrink volume

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:28 PM

Hi,
I have around 150GB of available space on my C drive, yet when I try to shrink the drive the dialog box only gives me the option of reducing it by around 3GB. And even that doesn't work since after I click to do so it says that access isn't allowed. This is after I defragmented and optimized my computer.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:48 PM

There's a few other things to do on Vista also. Rather than type them out I'll link a tutorial for you.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

#3 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:23 AM

Thank you.

So if I understand correctly, using a paid disk shrinker (or trial thereof) will be able to do the job for me without having to go through the other steps in the article?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

Defraggmenting simply: "takes all volumes of an encyclopedia from all over the room and places back into order A-Z, the amount of space taken up by the set of encyclopedias changes very little".  If one needs more available byte-space, one has to do other things.  If one wants to reSize the OS partition or Data partition, something like MiniTool Partition Wizard should work.

Edited by RolandJS, 13 December 2016 - 11:36 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:41 AM

You do not need a paid partition manager. The bootable version of Partition Wizard would be able to resize your partition but if you receive an error as shown in the GParted link on the page TsVk! linked to you will need a Vista install disk to do the repair. If you do not have a Vista Install disk then I would not attempt to resize the partition unless you created a disk image to an external drive first. You can do this with a program like Macrium Free. Be sure to create the Macrium bootable restore media. On Vista you may need to install the AIK which can be about 3GB. Creating a disk image would allow you to recover your OS should resizing your partition prevent you from booting.

After creating the Macrium Boot Disk or USB flash drive boot it and make sure it detects all your disks including the USB external drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users