Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 Versus D, E, And F Drives

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

Gentlemen,

Computer AMD Athlon[tm]XP 2400+
2.00GHz, 1.00GB of Ram.

System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
Version 2002; SP2

A week ago I installed Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0. I like it and I want to keep it, but today I saw that I had lost from My Computer -

CD Drive (D:]
CD-RW Drive (E:)
DVD Drive (F:)

I wondered if the Adobe Photoshop 4.0 had something to with it so I did a System Restore - back to the day before I installed the programme. The System Restore was successful. It had removed the Adobe Photoshop and the three drives, D, E, and F, were back in My Computer.

To satisfy my curiosity, I reinstalled Adobe Photoshop and, hey presto, the drives D, E, and F, had gone again.

I need those drives so I removed Adobe PS with 'add/remove programmes'. But the three drives were still missing so I did another System Restore. That put the three missing drives back into My Computer.

I am in a quandary. I want to keep Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 but it seems that it does not like my drives D, E, and F.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Best wishes. whatapalaver.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

did you get your copy from adobe website or from elsewhere, friend, p2p, whatever. if from anywhere but adobe the version you have may be corrupt in some way. try downloading the 'free tryout' version from adobe and see if that will run ok and also show your 'drives'.

if that version also 'removes' your drives, i would check the adobe photogroup newsgroups for similar occurances, and if so, there will probably be info of a workaround available to you there.

also, make sure you have all xp updates, and all other programmes are stopped when installing again, including your antivirus (scan installation file first, then disconnect from net before turning off av and firewall).

good luck

#3 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:47 AM

Thank you rubiconeye.

I will follow your advice.

The Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 disc is the genuine article - purchased from a reputable internet retailer -and it came boxed with a manual, both were sealed, and it has a license number.

I like the programme and I was going through the tutorials to learn how to use it when a friend asked me to quick-fix his CD of photographs. When I went to download the content of the disc, I couldn't. It was then that I saw that drives D and E and F were not there. I cannot even put in the installation disc to download and install the 'goodies' or Adobe Reader etc.

No, I didn't turn off security before I installed PSE4, but I will do that. And I will check for updates.

Last night I registered with Adobe so I am permitted to post questions in the forums, but I went round in ever decreasing circles trying to fathom how to do it. So I slept on it and will have another look today.

I'm hoping that if I download a free try-out version, and there is no problem with the drives, I will be able to key in this disc's license number and be legitimate.

#4 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:42 AM

Gentlemen,

I am a little closer to solving the problem. The Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 programme has been removed and I have access to my drives.

How do I backup my registry? I need a backup because the registry has to be 'tweaked'.

I am not going to do it, but I'm hoping that I will be able to watch and learn.

I expect that the technician whom I have in mind to do the job will make a backup, but I'm erring on the side of caution and I want to have my own personal backup, in a safe place, before anyone touches this machine.

So, please how do I backup my registry? Will a floppy be large enough, or should I backup to a disc.

Best wishes. whatapalaver

#5 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:29 AM

for reg back up i use erunt, details below:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

a floppy wont be large enough, whatapalaver,

good luck

Edited by rubiconeye, 29 August 2006 - 11:30 AM.

#6 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:49 PM

Gentlemen,

The Adobe versus Drives problem was corrected this morning by a technician who followed the instructions provided by Adobe. I now have Photoshop Elements 4 and the three drives.

In case someone else experiences the same problem, this is Adobe's advice.

>>>>CD or DVD drive not recognized by Windows after you install an Adobe application
Issue
Windows XP or Windows 2000 doesn't recognize your CD or DVD drive after you install one or more of the following Adobe applications:
-- Audition
-- Encore DVD
-- Photoshop Album
-- Photoshop Elements
-- Premiere Elements
-- Premiere Pro
-- Production Studio
Detail
Other CD and DVD burning applications, such as Roxio Easy CD Creator, are installed on the computer.
Solution: Refresh the CD and DVD drivers list in the Windows registry.
Disclaimer: The registry contains system-related information that is critical to your computer and applications. Before modifying the registry, be sure to make a backup copy of it. Adobe doesn't provide support for problems that arise from improperly modifying the registry. Adobe strongly recommends that you have experience editing system files before you modify the registry. For information on the Windows Registry Editor, see the Windows documentation or contact Microsoft Technical Support.
To refresh the CD and DVD drivers list in the Windows registry:
Important: After you refresh the driver list in the Windows registry, you may need to reinstall any other CD or DVD burning applications on your computer. If you restart Windows after this procedure and other CD or DVD burning applications do not recognize the CD or DVD drive, then reinstall those applications.
1. Remove your Adobe application.
2. Choose Start > Run.
3. Type regedit in the Open text box and click OK.
4. In the Registry Editor dialog box, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class and select the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} key, which appears as a folder.
5. Select File > Export (Windows XP) or Registry > Export Registry File (Windows 2000).
6. In the Export Registry File dialog box, select Selected Branch under Export Range, name the file (for example, CDDVDkey.reg), and click Save to save the file to the Desktop.
7. In the right panel of the Registry Editor, select the LowerFilters line, and then choose Edit > Delete. Click Yes in the Confirm Key Delete dialog box.
8. Select the UpperFilters line, and then choose Edit > Delete. Click Yes in the Confirm Key Delete dialog box.
9. Close the Registry Editor.
10. Restart Windows.
11. Reinstall your Adobe application.
12. Restart Windows.
Important: If this solution doesn't resolve the problem with the application you reinstalled, you should restore the CD and DVD drivers list in the Windows registry.
To restore the exported CD and DVD drivers list:
1. Double-click the registry key you exported in step 5.
2. Close the Registry Editor.
3. Restart Windows.
Background information
The UpperFilters and LowerFilters keys in the Windows registry store information about CD and DVD burning drivers. When you add or remove CD and DVD burning applications, these registry keys are altered and they can become corrupted. When you remove the registry keys and restart the computer, Windows refreshes the keys. Some applications may use a different burning driver than the application you reinstalled. If the other CD or DVD burning applications installed on your computer cannot access the drive after Windows refreshes the registry keys, you will need to reinstall those applications before they can access the drive.
For more information, see the following articles on the Microsoft website at www.microsoft.com :
-- 314060: CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
-- 270008: Cannot Access CD-ROM and "Code 31" Error Message in Device Manager After You Remove Adaptec Easy CD Creator from Your Computer (Windows 2000)<<<<<

Best wishes, whatapalaver

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:02 PM

If you had Erunt running make sure it made a fresh backup AFTER the fix or do one manually now and discard all the those previous to the fix so you do not inadvertantly undo the Adobe fix.

Same with System Restore - discard all previous restore points and create a new one now by turning it off - and then turning it back on.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 September 2006 - 03:02 PM.

#8 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:04 AM

Thank you Enthusiast. I had wondered about Erunt and System Restore and whether or not they would upset the alteration to the registry if they were activated. Erunt makes an automatic backup whenever this computer is booted up so I have followed your advice and opened Erunt's automatic backups folder and deleted only those automatic backups that were made before today.

System Restore has been switched off and on.

Thank you very much. Your intervention is much appreciated.

PS. Do you know that Adobe has no email support, but will give advice over the telephone? The cost of an enquiry is high. Here, in the UK, it is GB£29 + vat per enquiry. That's a lot of US dollars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users