Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Logon Screen to iOS Device (Primary Display)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SysIntEng

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

I originally posted this in the iOS forum but I believe this may be the best place to ask....

I'm trying to make my iPad the primary monitor on a PC. Every application I've seen so far requires that a User log into Windows first for the application to run, and then it will connect to your iPad as an extended monitor only after you get to your desktop. 

On the iOS apps that I've tried, I've changed the software that normally runs as an application on the PC into a background service that now loads upon startup (the application itself has been disabled from autostart). I used a software called NSSM to convert it into a service (also tried SRVSTART). The service seems to work somewhat because when I plug the iPad into the PC at the Windows Logon Screen, the iOS app then changes from its "waiting for connection" state to a black screen; it recognizes the PC is connected. That's where I'm stuck - on the black screen.

If I log into Windows, the screen still stays black.  I then stop and start the service and have the same results.  I'm not sure the service is loading everything it needs to push video to the iOS device regardless if I'm logged in or not.  If the newly created service is stopped and the original application/agent is ran on the PC then it works.  Has anyone had any experience with this or know what I may be missing? 

The iOS apps I've used so far are Duet Display and XDisplay. They work as advertised but I'm trying to accomplish something outside of their scope. The results are the same during testing on both of the apps. The stipulations on my setup are:

1) iPad has to be a wired (non-network) connection to the PC
2) iPad has to work as a display on the Windows Logon Screen. 
3) cannot remove the Windows Logon Screen. I.e. No Auto startup to desktop

Any helpful input is appreciated. Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SysIntEng

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

As an additional piece of information, I've also used Process Explorer (version 16.20) to see if Windows starts any other processes when the display application/agent runs on the PC.  I wasn't able to see it launch any additional processes.  I'm new to that application too but it doesn't look like its difficult to tell if processes spawn other processes.

#3 smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

FWIW, here is the original post from the iOS forum:

I suggested the original poster ask here about getting the application to run as a service as that seem to be more of a Windows issue rather than an iOS issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users