Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Upgrade The Dell Dimension 8200 V.2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tbread90

tbread90

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:05 PM

This is exactly the same question as located in this post.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/100330/how-to-upgrade-the-dell-dimension-8200/

I got this dell for free because it was collecting dust.  I would like to know if all the recommendations in that link are still the best.  The only thing i need atm is a computer that can do DBan on my locked drive because it will apparently take 2200 hours on the families other desktop.  Other than that i would use it for light browsing if my laptop were to ever have issues.  FYI i don't have much money as i am in College.  Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

BTW: this comp has a bios version/date of 4/18/2002

Edited by tbread90, 12 December 2016 - 07:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:41 PM

There is no way a disk wipe should take 2200 hours unless the drive is failing and cannot be written to. I would run the Dell diagnostics by tapping F12 at boot.

Modern drives can be securely wiped with 3 passes and 7 is overkill. In fact on a modern drive one pass is sufficient unless your trying to hide something from a government. 

You can use a bootable disk of Partition Wizard to zero wipe the disk for three passes.

When you say the drive is locked can you explain. Has the drive been encrypted? Usually a hard drive password is used only on laptops. There are BIOS passwords on a Desktop but those can easily be cleared using a jumper on the motherboard.

This is a very old system and I would not spend any money on upgrades other than increasing your amount of RAM. Last BIOS update on the computer was Oct 2002. If the computer is operating normally I would not flash the BIOS. 

What did you plan on using the computer for? Were you planning on sticking with XP as an OS. It is no longer supported and no longer has security updates.

Depending on your budget see this page. It may help you decide on what to upgrade. The problem is this article was written in 2010 and the video card is no longer available new unless you pay an unrealistic price. You may find one used. Also you should have at least 1GB or RAM and preferably 2GB. Note the page says to use 45ns RAM which is wrong. Your specs say 40ns and all sticks need to be the same speed.  If you do plan on replacing the CPU remember to clean the thermal paste off the Heatsink fan and replace with new paste. I don't know how much computer experience you have. Just pointing out things to watch out for.

Here is your maintenance manual showing your specs. Maximum Memory is 2GB and the maximum memory stick size is 512MB of RDRAM.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-8200_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

#3 tbread90

tbread90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:13 PM

awesome....  that is everything i needed to improve the dell... tyvm.  I will be using ubuntu 16.04 as the next OS.  I have tried it out cuz my W10 always had high disk usage from those windows process.  

Do you think 16.04 is ok?  i checked and i have the min req's covered, but maybe i should go for another version? 

By locked, yes it's an hdd that i had on my laptop.  I was messing with bios passwording for the first time and i forgot to make a backup and lost the paper i wrote the pass on when pulling my phone out of my pocket. 

So it is a locked hdd through bios password and i don't think i encrypted it, btw.  I can't even boot on the laptop with it inserted.  the laptop ignores boot order when an hdd is blocked.  

It's actually a Western digital hdd.  HGST Travelstar 5k1000. I will try a diagnostic of some sort tonight...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:47 PM

Your Welcome,

16.04 should be fine. You should have at least 1GB or RAM and 2GB would be better. I have it on an very old emachines. It's slow but functional.

I don't know what your budget is but Staples has refurbished computers for a decent price and it includes Windows 7 Home. You may want to look at buying a later model refurbished computer vs paying to upgrade the 8200.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

I can get computers like that my self for like $60, they come with less hdd space though and a little less ram.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

@shadow_647, how is your experience with refurbished?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

FWIW:  Amazon has a collection of refurbished systems that are reliable and what I consider to be inexpensive.

Louis

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:43 PM

Good, john, never had problem with em or a free computer out of a garbage can or older refurbished computers for that fact, performance is over rated, my self i tend to wait for things to be sold used for cheap, of late i have my eye on a geforce 560ti, seen em go for as little as $60, and i remember someone paying $600 for one, -10x price can't beat that.

I seen a lot of people to over the years that just use their computers to surf the net and watch vids, maybe some light gaming and for that kind of thing you can be all setup for under $300 and i mean everything, screen+ some upgrades + refurbished computer + keyboard mouse + speakers.

Add Linux to that and your like immune to virus attacks and up to date, good setup for none gamers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users