Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer frequently turns off and restarts for no reason

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jlpelham

jlpelham

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:57 PM

My Dell e4300 keeps turning off and restarting/rebooting for no reason at all.  This started today.  I ran malware bytes and windows defender and they found nothing.  Same thing for JRT, nothing.

I'm on business in Los Angeles for a week and NEED this laptop running.

PLEASE anyone have any ideas?

Running windows 10 with an SSD drive.  Computer runs fast and great for a LONG time now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

Please use SpeedFan to monitor the temperature of the laptop overheating can cause your computer to reboot and or shutdown.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion to use speed fan.  I probably typed my post 3 or 4 times before I got it out without the computer turning off for no reason at all, that I can detect.  I already use speed fan and I keep a small fan pointed right into my laptop's cooling vents on the left hand side.  The temperature is NOT the issue, but that was a good guess.  It is running around 55-65C for all the metrics.  I know that is a bit on the high side, but not alarmingly so.  I have it running, normally, at my home in the docking station for sometimes a week at a time without shutting it off.  I have the fan there, but even when I have not had the fan, I haven't had these problems.

It's got to be something else.  Although, I must say, my laptop has been up now for about an hour without shutting off.  I didn't do anything to make this happen, but I'm not complaining either.  

Anyone with any other suggestions?  I can't seem to do a Windows 10 repair as an option.  That seemed kind of strange.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:04 PM

55~65C hu at idel speed.

Try prime95 and load all cores to max and check temps in real time for 10~20min of running and see what happens.

Keep an eye on your temps.

If they go past 80C my self id stop testing, my self im on a core2 Duo too but water cooled with a full size kit and overclocked at max vcore recommended for this cpu and my temps never go past 55c in the summer, in winter never past 50C really under full load.

http://www.mersenne.org/download/#download

Cpu in your laptop seems to be a core2 Duo SP9400 max temp 105c

Got one core 100% loaded atm and just checked my temps, running a game, its 45c total cpu's load holding steady at 60%

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

You can also perform Clean Boot state to find out if any third party services or programs causing the problem.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users