Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A 5.1 Speaker Problem I Can't Solve At All.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:34 PM

Hello everyone,

I have recently just built a new pc with new MS XP Pro installed etc..I decided to use my same 5.1 speaker system and audio card from my old pc. They are only about 9 months old now. The Model of My Speakers are Philips MMS460 5.1 Speakers and my Audio card was Pro InnoAX 5.1, which all worked superbly until new build.

I connected and installed the card and speakers following the instructions so i got all the jacks in the right place, Audio driver installed fine too. When i used it i could only hear certain speakers, so i tried all types of combinations of FRONT, SURROUND and SUB/Centre IN on the audio card, and not being able to get full 5.1 only back and front with no centre/sub was the best. So today i decided i would go for the external Creative Sounds Blaster 24bit, thinking the card was the source of the problem. Its a nice external unit i followed the instructions and but all the line in cables as it directed. The same problem.... so i turned my attention to the speakers and fiddled with the line in connection going into the speaker...and the best i have got is with ONLY the FRONT IN connected, No C/Sub COnnection or Surround IN at the speakers but all Line In cables are In on external sound card, and now i seem to be getting the front working and the centre and sub and the back are 'working' but its faint. If i connected Surround / Sub IN it would cancel out front or back speakers. Has anyone had a problem similar to this? and is it a Connection problem or is my 5.1 speakers faulty all of a sudden.

Thanks
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

You have made sure it everything is as it should be in Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices > Speaker settings > Advanced?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

Hi

i justed checked there , It is Set at 5.1 .

Its very odd Green is the only input working properly, i would say.

Thanks
Stu G

#4 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

I have just discovered when all Line IN cables are connected to the sound card and the 5.1, i ran the creative diagnostic tools to test speakers and i can hear all of them! Front Left, Right and Centre and Rear left and right too, But when i play any mp3/wma music file i can only hear the Front Left and right correctly, the centre is very faint when playing audio tests.

With that test i done i am now even more confused , because that worked....but not with any music file or video file infact too.. :(

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

Are you using any kind of upmixer? If you aren't then stereo sound should only come from front left and front right speakers.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:16 PM

Probably over my head too, but for clarity,

You have the same results with two sets of speaker so we know that it is the computer then.

In the runbox commands your have typed and checked.
mmsys.cpl
(for right configuration)
devmgmt.msc
(for missing drivers, yellow blobs)
sndvol32
(for sounds control)
everyday is a gift

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

If you are using the creative product I assume you are using the creative drivers?

Ok I am pretty sure that there is a blue speaker icon in the task bar at the bottom right of your screen? Double click on that then go to advance (the second tab). Make sure all your speaker volumes are up.

If this doesn't work post back and I will try some other stuff.

#8 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the quick assistance everyone.

Yes i am using the correct Drivers.

All my drivers are in place, ALl my hardware is installed with no unknown devices and SOunds and audio config is set to 5.1 in creative software and windows.

I have a feature in creative called CMSS, which i have enabled for stereo sound which improves my back speakers a little, but this is not true 5.1, which i really should be getting. This is called Upmixing..so yes i guess that is a type of upmixer. I just cant figure out why it would allow centre and sub to work when all is plugged in correctly.

Thanks
Stu G

#9 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:11 PM

Here is another thing go to Start>All Programs>Creative>(Name of your sound card I think...)>Creative Speaker Calibrator

Run that, it should fix the problem

#10 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

Hi

I Dont seem to have the calibrator, only speaker ssettings which is set a 5.1 , its very like the Audio and Sounds Advanced Settings in Windows.

Thanks
Stu G

#11 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

Did you install all the software that came with the creative sound card?

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:16 AM

My Audigy 2 ZS shipped with a upmixer named CMSS 3D, which can be found in the EAX console. It upmixes stereo sound to 5.1. You need to find something similar.

#13 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:19 AM

Hi

All software is installed. If i go to creative> Eax Console Then CMSS Enabled I have 2 Options "Classic 3d Upmix" and "Stereo Surround" which is the one I have Selected.

It makes the rear speakers more powerful when al connections are in. Any suggestions WHy When Rear ANd Sub/C Line In COnnections Are IN the seem to be cancelled out or not working, but when i Have only Front Speakers In I seem to be getting some operation from Front/Rear and Sub when playing music, but the creative audio test does not work, with only getting front.

I can't help feel its a setup /software type problem other than a faulty 5.1 speaker set.

Thanks for the continuing help.
Stu G

#14 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:19 PM

I have uninstalled and reinstall the drivers/software and connected the cables as the manuals says and i can confirm i think it is now SOLVED! YEA!

Went To Speaker Settings>Bass Management >Ticked The Box "Bass Redirection" and Frequency Cut Off Is at The Middle ANd Subwoofer Volume at 2/3. I am happy it is now actual 5.1. A simple configuration setting after all...

I have one general question will rear speakers or surround be slightly quieter than Front/Centre?, but i am sure they are working now.

Thanks Everyone for the Help.

Bleeping is the Best! :thumbsup:
Stu G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users