Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IPv4 and IPv6 Question, somethings changed??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Daffypuck

Daffypuck

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:30 PM

For as long as its been around, Ive never had issues until this particular PC. Anytime my PC powers down due to an outage or whatever, my adaptor settings are switched off and I have no internet. Well, I have IPv4 and IPv6 is switched off. So I have to go in and reactivate them. When 6 is off, I get nothing but the usual Facebook, Youtube, etc until I switch 6 back on. My question is this, all of the sudden after a recent outage, I went to switch IPv6 back on and it will not reactivate. But the really odd thing is, I am having no issue surfing sites that require that. What gives? Why all of these times in the past would I not get jack until I reactivated IPv6 and now it doesnt seem to matter? Any help would be awesome. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

BTW, Im running windows 7 and the issue seems to completely render IE useless, but Chrome works fine. In the past Chrome would only go to FB, Youtube, etc, but now it seems to go to any site with IPv6 dsiabled. How is that possible?

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

Does your router support IPV6?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

Im assuming it does. Prior to this, whenever I had an outage and my PC rebooted, I would have to go back into my settings and disable then re-enable IPV4 and IPv6 in order to be able to surf the web again. With IPv4 enabled, I could go to Google and search, but when Id click on a search result, it would time out and no internet. Same for Youtube and Facebook. Nothing else would work. Then I would reactivate IPv6 and all was fine. Now all of the sudden, I cant re-enable IPv6, but I have no problem surfing the web. 

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

Re-Enable ipv6 and run Minitoolbox put a check in the top 8 boxes. Post your log in your next post. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

Thats just it, I cant re-activate it! I go to the settings and disable, then re-enable and only 4 activates. Its really not an issue because unlike before, I can still surf the web, despite 6 not being active. Whereas, prior to a week ago, 6 had to be active in order for me to surf sites other than FB, YT or Google. I dont get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users