Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop powers off and then restarts for no reason often

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jlpelham

jlpelham

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:27 PM

I noticed the other day that my computer had rebooted.  I thought nothing of it because sometimes it does that when it runs Windows updates.  Today, my laptop was running on battery and I heard it make the noise that it was running out of juice and shutting off.  I came back to my desk and plugged in the power supply and fired it back up.  Then it was running slowly and started shutting off for no reason right in the middle my doing work.  It started and stopped sometimes 3 or 4 times in one minute, but then finally started up and stayed powered up for a few minutes to 15 minutes.  I tried running malware bytes on it and it quit in the middle because the computer crashed.  I finally got Windows defender to do a quick scan with nothing found and same for malware bytes, nothing found.

Any suggestions?  It sounds like MAYBE some type of hardware problem.  I do NOT believe it can be an overheating problem because I keep a fan on next to the vent/cooling slots.

PLEASE HELP!!!  Can't get ANYTHING done like this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:05 PM

Are you getting a blue screen before it shuts down? If not then try unplugging your battery and just running power from the power adapter and see if anything happens. If that's normal then it's something wrong with your battery.

#3 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

I am NOT getting any blue screens.  The computer just goes black/blank and reboots immediately.  I can tell it's happening because my USB powered fan that I keep pointed at the cooling slots on my laptop, to keep it cool, stops when it shuts off.

I think you are right that it may have something to do with the battery or power supply.  The whole time, I've been running it with the power adapter plugged in.  I tried another power adapter, thinking that could be the culprit, but it made no difference.  After many hours of the computer shutting on and off, sometimes within seconds of rebooting/restarting, I finally got a respite for about 20 minutes where it didn't shut off and I was able to do some research.  I went in to msconfig and disabled all start up services except the microsoft ones, and I almost didn't try this step because the computer seemed to be running okay and it had been up for about 30 minutes, whereas it was powering off every 30 seconds to 5 minutes for hours.  I decided to disable the startup services, and since that time, my laptop has been up for about 14 hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users