Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sounds problems in Windows 95

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ecv83

ecv83

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

Hey everyone,

I recently installed Windows 95 on an old Pentium 2 that I had laying around, in hopes of using it for some old games. I'm having trouble getting the sound card to work within windows. I've downloaded and installed what I believe to be the correct drivers for the card. In my audio device properties, it shows to be working properly, however if I try to play a wav file, it tells me the “the sound device is not installed”(see attached). I know the card works, because the sound is working for dos games. I have no idea what I'm missing here... Please let me know if any additional info is needed to diagnose the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached File  SoundDrivers.jpg   827.75KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:40 PM

Wavetable Driver for DOS based Games (ES1688 only)
Your sound card supports a universal wavetable daughterboard upgrade. If you have attached a wavetable daughterboard and you cannot hear background music or sound effects from the wavetable (usually General MIDI standard) synthesis chip, then quite possibly the game you are using does not include a driver for wavetable synthesis (an example = "Doom2"). In this case you need to enable the Wavetable Driver included on diskette # 1/1. Install as follows..
•   Install DOS drivers as stated above.
•   The process of DOS driver installation will create a directory called PCAUDIO. Go to this directory on your specific drive (usually C:\PCAUDIO\) by typing CD PCAUDIO at the C:\ prompt.
•   Type EN1688 - This will install the wavetable driver.

Best guess,seems some of the ES1688 cards couldn't do wavetable.

Wasn't a quality sound card for its time, my self i have two sound blaster AWE64 golds ISA.

Sorry can't sell you one :ph34r:

Never had problems with em in win95~98~DOS but i have a pile of the cheap sound cards too and often their problem cards when it comes to compatibility, ok i know im a junk collector when it comes to pc parts no need to point it out.

If you know of any computer junk yards out their were you live id go hunting for one, any AWE64 will do, main difference was the onbord ram for midi, good sound blaster 16 or better works too.

Checking on ebay they want ripoff prices for a AWE64 gold, cus they know for ISA it was top of the line.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xsound+blaster+ISA.TRS0&_nkw=sound+blaster+ISA&_sacat=0

800px-KL_Creative_Labs_Soundblaster_AWE6

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

Forgot to say if that computer for vintage gaming and the like id upgrade to win98se.

#4 ecv83

ecv83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for your help!

I always thought that would probably be a better option, and I think I might have a SB16 somewhere that came out of a 486.

I can understand that this integrated card may have some limitations as far as games are concerned, but I really thought I could at least make it work within the os, after all i'm pretty sure this thing shipped with win 95.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

Sound blaster 16 is fine and should own that other sound card all the way around, you shouldn't have any problem with sound using a SB16.

Think i still have some SB16 too as well as the first sound blaster ever made.

Integrated sound now is better then it was back then, back in 1995 Integrated was so bad it wasn't even funny forcing people to buy sound cards but sound blaster cards sold at a premium so many went for lesser cards and their were so many out their.

Sadly the quality of Integrated sound hardware is hurting sales of sound cards last i checked, Integrated sound on new systems still isn't as good as buying a real sound card in 2016 but most don't seem to care anymore, i do though, on my main gaming box i have a sound blaster audigy zs2, had it for years.

Think i payed $80 for it used back in the day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users