Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery drive D: too low on space for upgrades?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Seabreezes

Seabreezes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:16 PM

I've never seen anything like this and might be posting prematurely, as I haven't seen my friend's computer yet. He called me this morning wanting information. The following is from his description of what happened.

After a typical MS Windows 10 update installation, he received a message saying that drive D: -- his recovery drive -- was out of space and the update couldn't be installed.

I have long been under the impression that the recovery drive only contained a mirror image of the computer as it was at the date of purchase. I thought nothing could be added to it and it just stood, as is, until and if it was ever needed. At that point (after saving data and resetting the machine), THEN you installed all the updates, which go on C: or the root drive. Again, not on the recovery partition.

He says the update that failed is for a 40+ MB Synaptics driver. He checked his drive info and there are 2MB of space left on his recovery drive (somewhere around a 300 GB drive, according to what he read to me off his computer).

Can regular MS updates even add or make changes to a recovery partition, or did he possibly download something he shouldn't have? 

Thanks in advance if you can at least answer the question in red and I'll try to write again, with better information if I get it. He doesn't want to impose due to the holidays, so I might not know any more until after the first of the year.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

You might be asked to post a disk management generated pic of your hard-drive or hard-drives, and of the partitions on said physical device[s].  I have not heard of a factory recovery partition being affected by Microsoft Windows Updates.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:09 AM

I agree with RolandJS - some more info is needed here.

Alternatives are to try updating the Synaptics driver from the computer manufacturer's website or even from the Synaptics website (be sure to read the CAUTION there):  http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

This is the CAUTION from the SYnaptics website:

TouchPad Driver Support

Synaptics' TouchPad device drivers are customized and supported by notebook manufacturers to meet specific driver requirements for their individual products. To ensure the appropriate driver for your device, always use the driver your specific notebook OEM supports.

Installing a generic driver from this website may result in the loss of OEM-customized functionality and other issues. We recommend you set a restore point before installing to ensure potential need to roll back to the previous driver.

NOTE: Before upgrading to Windows 10, first check with your notebook manufacturer for compatibility, then use your device's Windows update function to ensure you get the correct driver for your hardware.

To provide comments, please complete the TouchPad Feedback form.

Finally, I'm not a big fan of updating 3rd party drivers through Windows Update.  The 3rd party manufacturers don't seem to upload to there on a regular basis (although it's become better over the years), so I suspect that the updates that Windows Update provides are actually older than those at the computer manufacturer's website and the Synaptics website.

Edited by usasma, 14 December 2016 - 07:10 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users