Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New internal HDD automatically populating with folder from another HDD!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kitsel

Kitsel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

Hi!

I posted a topic a while ago about this issue but the situation has changed and I've figured out a bit more so I figured a new topic would be in order.

I manage a filesharing server for a small company (~20 people) that was set up before I got here by someone who isn't super tech savvy.  We needed more space so I purchased an 8TB hard drive for additional storage.  When I moved files into the new hard drive, it appeared that they would randomly disappear and then reappear in the top level of the hard drive.

However, a few weeks ago I decided to leave the new HDD empty and I realized that it was automatically deleting anything on the hard drive and populating it with the shared folder.  Since I was moving that same folder over, it seemed like it was moving the files around.

Now, I believe that there is some sort of script or program set up to back the shared folder up onto whatever hard drive it finds.  Unfortunately, I disabled Windows Server Backup and this file migration is still happening.  About once a week (every Thursday for what it's worth) it seems to update any new files, as several folders will have a new "modified" date.  I've searched for any other program that could be used to do something like this and I'm not seeing anything.  The only thing I can think of is some kind of script through PowerShell or something?

Can anyone think of something that would cause this to happen?  I've tried everything and I'm at my wit's end.  My work is getting pretty impatient at this point!  

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

Check your task scheduler, someone likely setup a scheduled task to run a robocopy script (Batch file) to backup the shared folder. You could also try changing the drive letter of the external HDD, If there is a robocopy script it should fail (I don't believe there is a way to point the backup to *any* external drive). and lastly you can try searching the Hard drives for *.bat this will populate all batch files. Look for one indicating the backup.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Kitsel

Kitsel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

Check your task scheduler, someone likely setup a scheduled task to run a robocopy script (Batch file) to backup the shared folder. You could also try changing the drive letter of the external HDD, If there is a robocopy script it should fail (I don't believe there is a way to point the backup to *any* external drive). and lastly you can try searching the Hard drives for *.bat this will populate all batch files. Look for one indicating the backup.

You're right!!!  

I found a bunch of backups I wasn't aware of.  It was set to back up almost every single day of the week to a different drive letter, and the Thursday backup was to drive E, which is the letter I assigned to the internal drive.  Not sure why he set up 6 backups to 6 different drive letters when we only have two external drives but I won't worry about that haha.  

You're a lifesaver - I've done very little work with servers (in a company this small you have to figure out stuff you're not familiar with pretty often) so I have very little knowledge of robocopy, though coincidentally I read up on it and used it to transfer the shared folder to the new hard drive a few weeks ago.

Thank you!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:01 PM

You are very welcome!

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer